Data truncated for column.......

BrotherLogic

$createtablequery = 'CREATE TABLE longterm( '.
        'fid INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, '.
        'fundname VARCHAR(75) NOT NULL, '.
        'starrating VARCHAR(60) NOT NULL, '.
        'firstyear FLOAT, '.
        'thirdyear FLOAT, '.
        'fifthyear FLOAT, '.
        'tenthyear FLOAT, '.
        'fifthteenyear FLOAT, '.
        'PRIMARY KEY(fid))';

$insertfundquery = 'INSERT INTO longterm( fundname,'.
          'starrating, firstyear, thirdyear,'.
          'fifthyear, tenthyear, fifthteenyear)'.
          'VALUES ( "$fundname", "$starrating",'.
          '"$firstyear", "$thirdyear", "$fifthyear",'.
          '"$tenthyear", "$fifthteenyear")';

[code]$insertfundquery = 'INSERT INTO longterm( fid, fundname, starrating, firstyear, thirdyear, fifthyear, tenthyear, fifthteenyear)
VALUES ("", "$fundname", "$starrating","$firstyear", "$thirdyear", "$fifthyear","$tenthyear","$fifthteenyear")';[/code]

My sql knowledge is rudimentary but I'm wondering if the FLOAT declarations (in your table definition) actually need to give the field definition rather than just 'FLOAT', i.e, FLOAT (5,2) to allow a signed four-figure number and 2 decimal places.

You guys, simple
he uses variables in ''
 $insertfundquery = 'INSERT INTO longterm( fundname,'.
          'starrating, firstyear, thirdyear,'.
          'fifthyear, tenthyear, fifthteenyear)'.
          'VALUES ( "$fundname", "$starrating",'.
          '"$firstyear", "$thirdyear", "$fifthyear",'.
          '"$tenthyear", "$fifthteenyear")';

Now you know wat to do

Thats ofcourse not all but still a little or else you had come up with this error later

@RockingGroudon: I'm assuming the insert query was changed to match my suggestion.

To continue, I think we need to see a full error and query message. Change the relevant part of your insert code to this:

[code]$insertfundquery = " ... whatever you're using";
$result = mysql_query($insertfundquery) or die("Error: ". mysql_error(). " with query ". $insertquery);[/code]

Error: Data truncated for column 'firstyear' at row 1 with query INSERT INTO longterm( fundname,starrating, firstyear, thirdyear,fifthyear, tenthyear, fifthteenyear)VALUES ( "$fundname", "$starrating","$firstyear", "$thirdyear", "$fifthyear","$tenthyear", "$fifthteenyear")

Error: Data truncated for column 'firstyear' at row 1 with query INSERT INTO longterm( fid, fundname, starrating, firstyear, thirdyear, fifthyear, tenthyear, fifthteenyear) VALUES ("0", "$fundname", "$starrating","$firstyear", "$thirdyear", "$fifthyear","$tenthyear","$fifthteenyear")

Ah yes " and ' and all that stuff.  Try this insert query (which I ought to have spotted some time back) that avoids the literals RockingGroudon observed.

[code]$insertfundquery = "INSERT INTO longterm( fid, fundname, starrating, firstyear, thirdyear, fifthyear, tenthyear, fifthteenyear)
VALUES (' ', '$fundname', '$starrating', '$firstyear', '$thirdyear',$fifthyear','$tenthyear','$fifthteenyear')";[/code]

Oh yeah. You guys rock. Totally my bad... I was getting syntax errors when I took the quotes out because I had the code in the wrong place in my script from testing.

Also...

I get this error:

Error: Out of range value adjusted for column 'fid' at row 1 with query INSERT INTO longterm( fid, fundname, starrating, firstyear, thirdyear, fifthyear, tenthyear, fifthteenyear) VALUES ('', Exposed Fund, '5Star', '7.04', '11.65','7.82','0','0')

but when I put a zero in for the "fid" VALUE everything works fine.

Thanks a Bunch Guys.
I really appreciate your help and effort.

Jon

Well, your variables aren't interpolating.... I'm assuming that:

[code]'VALUES ( "$fundname", "$starrating",'.[/code]

should be

[code]'VALUES ( "'.$fundname.'", "'.$starrating.'",'.[/code]

If PHP is like Perl, nothing in single quotes will be ever be interpolated.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.