mysql_insert_id() not returning inserted ID from auto increment column

drranch

mysql_insert_id() not returning inserted ID from auto increment column its returning 0.  The mysql_query is being added to my database and the auto increment is also being created, but the email I send to the customer is outputing the number 0 as the userid.

Here is my code…

$sql = mysql_query("INSERT INTO users (first_name, last_name, email_address, username, password,  signup_date)
VALUES('$first_name', '$last_name', '$email_address', '$username', '$password', now())", $database) or die (mysql_error());
if(!$sql){
$errors8="<font color=#FF0000><strong>There has been an error creating your account.&nbsp;<href=mailto:admin@test.com?=account_activation_failed>Please contact test’s customer service for further assistance.</font>";
} else {
$userid = mysql_insert_id();
if(isset($userid))
$success="<font color=white><strong>Your membership information has been mailed to your email address!_Please check it and follow the directions!</font>";
include "home.php";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.