How Do I Host a Directory Online???

Jsullivan44

Hello eveyone, hopefully someone can help me because I am all spun out.  Let me start off by saying I am moderate to the Linux World. Not a newbie but by no means am I fully understanding. In additon, sorry for the long post.

I have installed a LAMP Server using Ubuntu Server.  This is my first server by the way.  I am serving quite a few things. I know thats not the best idea, but I really just want to learn/practice, no extra cash. 

*** I have Samba setup and working. I want to host a directory online with a Login screen pretty much just music movies etcetc for family and friends. Like I said  practice. Should I be using apache to do this or is there something else I could use in the mean time while I am trying to figure out apache and actually build a site. Or can I just change the Document Root in apache.conf to the directory I want to share. 

There's a million different ways to do what you want to do.

Personally I would use a PHP script as a sort of gateway to the files.  A script can control access a bit better than Apache can, but it really depends on how detailed you want to allow it to get, or if you want something besides just plain directory listing or a static file list page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.