Don't Know How To Title This

ShoeLace1291

I'm looking for a certain software that I'm not sure even exists.  What I want is something that will automatically upload your file to your website once you've saved it.  I am sick of editing files and forgetting to upload it because of my own stupidity.  I know you'll probably suggest Xampp or WAMP, but I want to be able to access the files from anywhere.  Is there any type of software out there that has the capability of managing your entire website features such as file editing, MySQL, etc?

I don't think you understand what I'm getting at.  Uploading the entire site at once every time I save a file would take way too freakin long... and I'm not talking about writing the script to do it.  All I want is a text editor type of thing that will open the file from the web server by ftp and then automatically upload and overwrite the existing server file when I save the file onto my computer when I am satisfied with the changes.

From what I understand you would like to create that automatically uploads a file onto the server upon clicking the save button. Although this sounds really cool, I don't think it could be very useful in the industry. All testing should be done on a separate "development" server. Many web developers install a server onto their computer so they can quickly test php files locally. You should never test files on the live server, as it opens your website to a plethora of security vulnerabilities. The only time someone would want to upload a file onto the production server is when the files are complete and a last minute test is run to make sure everything is working how it's suppose to on the live website.

Pretty much what TheFilmGod said.  You should be developing on a local server that perfectly mimics the production server.  Since the code changes are local there is no wait time between editing code, saving, testing, and repeating the process.

When you are ready to upload the final code to the server, it should first be checked into version control and given a tag, such as v1.0.5.

After committed to version control, export the code for a software release.  Then zip the code and upload the final zip file to the server and extract it.

Easy-peasy.

As TheFilmGod and Roopurt mentioned above, you should do work locally then deploy from your version control. But not all sites have things set up this way, and they're not really interested in setting it up this way either. Sometimes you're stuck working for a client that just wants changes or updates here and there and you have to edit on the live site.

In cases like this, there are a couple options that make things pretty easy. As MadTechie mentioned above, Dreamweaver has the ability to connect directly to your FTP and allows you to edit files directly on the server and updates them when you save them. Another IDE that has this is Zend Studio. It allows you to do the same thing. Both of these programs are definitely not inexpensive. But since Zend Studio is built on Eclipse, you may be able to get this feature without having to purchase Zend Studio.

NetBeans also has a plugin called RemoteFileSystem. I've used this before to do the same thing, but it is sometimes hard to configure properly and it won't let you delete the connections if you need to.

Jeremy

I don't think you understand what I'm getting at.  Uploading the entire site at once every time I save a file would take way too freakin long... and I'm not talking about writing the script to do it.  All I want is a text editor type of thing that will open the file from the web server by ftp and then automatically upload and overwrite the existing server file when I save the file onto my computer when I am satisfied with the changes.

I don't know where you got this idea from out of the first few suggestions.  Why would you do that in the first place?  I wouldn't want to do that either.

FTP is made for grabbing files from your server, whether it is a specific one or the whole damned thing.  You don't need a software to use it.  The best idea is sort of like MadTechie's but it's made for setting up FTP access.  You can't map a drive to an FTP server as far as I know.  But, if you're running Windows..which I assume you are.. then look for Network Locations.. near Network Places  Add a new one. fill out the form, etc, etc.  In Windows 7 it's in My Computer.

EDIT: well...damn.  Seems like lately I've got the dancing frog syndrome or something.  Decided to set up my site like that to play around and it wants to save to Temporary Internet Files on save.

You can't map a drive to an FTP server as far as I know.

Their are a few ways to do it, one is netdrive,

netdrive free for home use

With NetDrive, managing your remote FTP and WebDAV servers will be as easy as any old file folders on your PC.

Once you mount the local drive, you don't need to run an application or an FTP client interface but a simple drag-and-drop in your Windows Explorer will be sufficient to transfer and manage files.

Another is FTP Drive (i think, google it),

Even windows lets you do it,

Map Network Drive -> Choose a custom network location -> Enter in the FTP address for the site (ftp://username:password@domain.com/path)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.