stripslashes problem

Daen

Hi,

Got a comments form that I'm trying to get to work on my website.  People can post their writing and have others comment on it.  So, I want the comments form to send an email to the author of the story being commented on.  But, stripslashes isn't working as I expect it to.

[code]
function check_form($necessaryVars)
{
  // ... other form processing above

$commentText = mysql_real_escape_string(nl2br($commentText));
  $subject = mysql_real_escape_string($subject)

// insert $commentText into the database

sendNotice($commentText, $subject);
  // end the form checking function
}

function sendNotice($commentText, $subject)
{
  $commentText = stripslashes(str_replace("<br />", "", $commentText));
  $subject = stripslashes($subject);

echo $commentText;
  echo $subject;

// assume necessary variables here are taken care of, except $commentText
  mail($authorEmail, $subject, $commentText, $from);
}
[/code]

$commentText is taken from a textarea on an html form.  If I input something like "Here's a comment." it comes out as "Here\'s a comment." even after the explicit call to stripslashes().  The really weird thing is it's working just fine on the call to clean up $subject.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening?  I've got similar things happening on other pages of my site-- calls to [code]stripslashes(str_replace("<br />", "", $someText))[/code] -- and they all seem to work just great.

I appreciate the help.

When I try the first one I get a warning about no ending delimiter found, and I still get the slashes.  I guess if you meant for me to try the preg_replace() instead of mysql_real_escape_string(), then that might work, but I'd rather not have to do that if possible... Especially since I've never had a problem with stripslashes() before like this.  It just doesn't make any sense.

I even tried assigning a separate holder variable for the commentText before I call mysql_real_escape_string(), and somehow the slashes even get in when I use the holder variable.  It's really bizarre.

I finally got it to work by using

[code]$commentText = str_replace("\\", "", $commentText);[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.