Portfolio critique

DigitalDrew

I just graduated and I am in need of a critique.

I put everything together, HTML, CSS, and PHP but 

I can not claim the JavaScript programming of the:

JQuery_Kwicks -http://www.jeremymartin.name/projects.php?project=kwicks

or

Slimbox2 - http://www.digitalia.be/software/slimbox2#download

The content is slim, I'm currently working on that as we speak.

Please voice anything that you think of. 

Advise me to change and advise me to keep.

I really appreciate your help...

www.andrewmichaelnathan.com

Graduated what ;)

At the moment the only thing you need to worry about is your design, it looks truly horrible. Here are my points:

- Your design is very 1990s, It isn't very modern and there are plenty of elements that unnessasarally detract attention form your content.

- Your header image isn't really linked with what you do.

- You have your name as your title, fine, but why have you got what you do in a fancy font, and the last work is at a 90* angle?

- Whats Miami AMN?

- Whats with the weird dripping water thing? Again, a very abstract element to use on a technology themed website.

- Your favicon is pointless, you need to think why you need it, for example the YouTube favicon stands out in my bookmarks, because it is relevant to the site, yours is relevant to your design and not your company / field of expertise...

Oh, and despite the icon, it doesn't validate, but I think this is the least of your worries.

I will leave it there for now, please take these points constructively, I am more than happy to answer any further questions.

ILMV

I felt like the videos were a bit of a waste of your life, added to a website so that it could waste other-people's lives... The videos were just weird or annoying and the flash movie at the top made navigation harder rather than easier.

First impressions are that it looks okay, but it goes down hill pretty quickly.

What's the point of it?

The photos are kinda cool and the websites look like different variations of the same site, repeated. You're clearly artistic, but more of an emphasis on usability might help get your point across better. You seem to be everything to everyone and more interested in entertaining people with your facial expressions.

Get some good models and work with your photography / photoshop skills. It will even make you money... Honest.

(I graduated with a BA in Studio Art and minored in Art History.)

Thank you both for your input.

I should have added more content before I put it up for critique.

I understand why you thought it was confusing, there isn't any content to let the visitor know what they are looking at.

I understand that I basically need to stop looking at the web as my 'canvas‘ and look at it as a 'space'.

Design not Art...

Thanks again... I will be sure to resubmit the site for a critique, when I redesign it.

AMN (AndrewMichaelNathan)  ;D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.