PHP script to be run by CRON

Tjk

I've got CRON set up to run this file below every minute... (this is the entire contents of the file)

[code=php:0]
<?php
$to= "myemail@emailprovider.com";
$subject= "cron test";
$message= "if you receive this cron is working!";
mail($to, $subject, $message);
?>
[/code]

Am I missing something about running PHP scripts using CRON or is it a server configuration problem?

Help appreciated as always.
-Tjk

Set the cronjob to write to file instead. That will tell you if the problem is with mail config or cronjobs.

Example:
[code]<?php
setlocale(LC_TIME, "NL_nl");
$time = strftime("%H:%M:%S");
$fp = fopen('test.txt','w');
fwrite($fp,'time: '.$time."\n");
?>[/code]

Check file afterwards. If everything is as expected, evaluate your mail settings.

Out of interest, if I load the script through my web browser should I see a blank page or should I get the error I'm getting which says "Warning: fopen(test.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied"?

Also, I tried it with CRON with no luck.

since CRON jobs are not run from a browser, the server doesn't always know what to use to parse the code.  try adding this:

[code]#!/usr/bin/php -q[/code]

to the top of your script (before the opening PHP tag); this line tells the server (linux i believe for this line) what to use to parse the code and where it's located.  i don't often use command line, so someone can probably correct my terminology, but this is what i need to add to my CRONs usually.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.