[SOLVED] PHP Freaks bot?

cwarn23

Hi and I have previously made a daniweb bot which scans the some of the forum articles at daniweb.com but my question is can I do the same with php freaks. What my script does is it converts forum topics into readable text articles by using the rss feed links. You can view a list of scaned daniweb articles at http://www.syntax.cwarn23.info/Botindex-Topics_-_PHP and also the main interface is located at http://www.syntax.cwarn23.info/Language=PHP. If you like I can provide an api for the results scanned by phpfreaks and every page scanned will have a link to the original article scanned. The forum categories I am asking weather I can scan future threads are: PHP Coding forum, Ajax forum, HTML forum and Javascript forum. The bot will check the rss feeds every 4 hours and scans topics recorded 10 days previously on a 4 hour basis. Would this community enjoy this feature and even at option an api for the results or is it a no go.

my question is can I do the same with php freaks.

No. I'm fairly certain that this would do us more harm than good with the search engines. You'll be duplicating our content, and we'd be competing for the same keywords.

Well although there would be the same keywords there are a lot of sentences removed from the article. It is the sentences with fewer nouns and verbs that are eliminated from the article leaving only the useful data. So far it sounds like you don't want such a feature but I thought that a forum like this would like to have a feature where forum topics can be converted to a meaningful data article even with your private api. Also an updated link since this site is new is http://syntax.cwarn23.net/PHP I thought that phpfreaks would love such a feature like daniweb but unfortunately it doesn't appear that way. Let me know if you change your mind.

Call me cynical, but it sounds to me like you're hoping to scrape our content, change it enough so that it is recognised as unique by the search engines to gain traffic to your own site. Like Daniel, I can't see the obvious benefit to us, bar the inbound links - But that doesn't weigh up in my opinion.

Yeah, you've already told us what it is, but you haven't told us how it is a benefit.

Well from my understanding of the google search engine, one of the things it ranks back links by is how common the content between the two pages are. So in this case the content would be very simular making it a strong back-link to php freaks increasing the seo of phpfreaks. However since there is no link from the php freaks article to my site my site theoretically will appear below phpfreaks on google due to no back links from phpfreaks to my site. So from what I have read that is how it will improve the seo of phpfreaks and not improve much of the seo of my site.

The second:

And if you choose to receive an api, you can display the results on your website too as phpfreaks are the only people who will have access to the api. This means you could search the articles and retrieve the articles using the api and display it as part of the phpfreaks website. So phpfreaks will also be able to share the results from this bot. So those are the 2 basic benefits behind this idea.

So in this case the content would be very simular making it a strong back-link to php freaks increasing the seo of phpfreaks.

More than anything, back links like that are only beneficial if the site linking to you has a decent page rank. Unfortunately your site currently doesn't even have a page rank (going by the Google toolbar).

Any I have given you the option of being able to not just for myself to host this data but for phpfreaks to receive the bots data too and if you don't accept then I am ok with that as daniweb had the opposite opinion. Just thought after seeing some of the samples of what I have done that you would like to see some of the results for your forum on your site and mine. So if a moderator could just confirm that phpfreaks does not want such a bot then I shall mark this topic solved. Also I don't know what is taking google so long to find my site as I submitted it about a week ago. At least I heard what this communities opinions are.

So if a moderator could just confirm that phpfreaks does not want such a bot then I shall mark this topic solved.

I am a moderator, and I can confirm that PHPFreaks does not want such a bot. I have marked this topic as solved for you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.