Relocation boundaries

Jocka

I don't want to be too far from my home state (texas) because thats where all my family and my wife's family lives. I told my wife I have a max relocation distance of 500 miles which includes about 6 states I'm willing to relocate to. i'm not sure if thats even a good idea though. I mean, they'd have to pay me pretty good so I could keep a place, get a car, enroll my son in schools when he's old enough, etc.
And I REFUSE to relocate if they don't pay for it.

Should I include all this in resumes or applications that I put in? Or is it a better idea to wait to say/ask all of this? The reason I'm writing this is because I got a job offer but it's over 1200 miles away from texas and I'm not sure I want to be that far but I REALLY need a job NOW... A little advice would be VERY helpful. Thanx in advance.

i would say make it as clear as possible that you have no intention of relocating unless they make it worth your while.  it wastes less of both parties' time, and consequently gets you a real job (rather than a prospective job) faster.

i may not be very old/experienced, but that strikes me as the most logical approach.  with a grain of salt though, as i haven't played the HR game much.

Well the thing is, I don't want to come off as this cocky guy. That's not who I am. I don't want them automatically assuming that I think "my way is the only way". I'm willing to negotiate but theres some things I'm just not willing to do without ALOT of benefits for me.

well i don't think you need to come off as cocky by saying you'd want them to cover the cost of relocation (or that you are unwilling to relocate that far).  i think you WOULD if you cited no reasons; if you mention why, they're more likely to see that you're just being realistic and reasonable, and will likely be the same in turn.

"cocky," in my opinion, is saying no because you're certain you can do better.  i think it's just "sane" to say no with logical reasons, and i'm not sure a company would argue differently.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.