Off Topic / Side Note

I'm wondering if we could have some bbc tags like:

[ot]Off Topic quote-style box here[/ot] or perhaps a [sn]Side Note quote-style box here[/sn].

I have seen this done over at sitepoint (they use [ot][/ot] for off topic). I have seen this SMF mod, but admittedly, seems cumbersome typing in [off-topic]...[/off-topic] as opposed to the ot abbreviation imo. Not sure what the parsed end result looks like.. but I do like how sitepoint presents theirs. Could come in handy for extra explanations in a post that help stand standout as opposed to just blending in with the rest of the topic's text.

Hmm.. yeah, but having a side note or off-topic panel that is presented differently (coloured differently perhaps) could help stand out more, or just to help differentiate itself would be cool (without needing to fuss with quotes from OFF-TOPIC lol).

I think the purpose of an offtopic block would be to make it less visible than the regular post text. Sitepoint draws attention to their offtopic blocks by changing the background colour, but also makes the text smaller so it's easier just to gloss over the block.

Offtopic:

In the mean time, there's nothing stopping you from formatting posts in a similar style, albeit without a coloured background. An [ot] bbcode would make things easier though.

P.S. Hi. :)

I suppose the reason why I feel the off-topic quote style boxes stand out is due to its border colour (redish, which stands out more than the typical quote box imo - I think I would have gave the entire ot body a faded redish colour (lighter than the background body) as well.. but that's just me).

oow custom tags per member,

[ot] = [size=1][color=#666666]

would be nice but I think its going to be more work than gain. but in all I like the idea

Strange Fact!:

There is a law on the books of Detroit, Michigan that states that "Alligators may not be tied to fire hydrants."

oow custom tags per member,

[ot] = [size=1][color=#666666]

would be nice but I think its going to be more work than gain. but in all I like the idea

That would actually be really cool. Like an alias that is substituted to the real one during the preprocessing of the post.

• 1 month later...

Any update on something like this? I know I've been not making (useful but) off-topic additions to posts recently because the off-topic comments all-too-often get mistaken for something more relevant to the topic than it might perhaps be.  If we could make OT comments visually separated from the main discussion, that would be awesome.

E.g.

dpdbpw.png

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.