PHP vs C++

Excuse my ignorance but I'd like to know the differences between scripting in php and C++. I do realize the obvious differences in php being interpreted and C++ being compiled. I'd just like to know how hard it would be for me to start learning C++ only having scripted in PHP. I've read that PHP is based on C/C++.

I've read that PHP is based on C/C++.

PHP is also written in C

But anyway C/C++ are lower level programming languages. It's closer at hardware level. OOP in C++ can be a bit confusing (at least it was to me) at first since you don't encapsulate the methods in the class like PHP and Java.

If you're only familiar with PHP, working with pointers will be completely new to you. This is were you can screw up big time because you can create memory leaks if you don't use pointers correctly.

"OOP in C++ can be a bit confusing (at least it was to me) at first since you don't encapsulate the methods in the class like PHP and Java. "

Errr.... What do you mean?

Hmm that was vague I guess. Just took a code sniplet of wikipedia to clarify.

class person
{
  std::string name;
  int age;
public:
  person() : age(5) { }
  void print() const;
};

void person::print() const
{
  cout << name << ";" << this->age << endl;
  /* we don't have to mention what "name" and "age" are,
     because it automatically refers back to the member variables.
     The "this" keyword is an expression whose value is the address
     of the object for which the member was invoked. Its type is 
     const person*, because the function is declared const.
*/
}

The "print" method  is after the last curly bracket while the print method is declared public between the curly brackets. That was pretty much the first time I'd seen this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.