[SOLVED] Computer keeps on shutting itself down

richiec

It is very strange indeed because i could boot it up in safe mode and everything would work fine with no resets or anything however if i would try to leave it boot up in normal mode it would shut itself down at random times, first time it would shut down was while it was on the windows xp loading screen with the windows xp logo, sometimes however it would get past that and you would get to the login screen but then shut down and sometimes you could actually login and then it shut down after you have been logged in for a few mins..

Now if it did the same thing for safe mode it wouldnt have been so confusing however like i said in safe mode it would all work fine. So i thought chances are its something to do with the windows installation with safe mode not loading 90% of the drivers ect so chances were that it was a conflicting driver it was just the problem of finding out which one which i didnt have the time for.

So after coming to that conclusion i decided to just make sure it wasnt over heating and that it wasnt a problem with the ram which was something else it could be so i checked the heat and that was all fine then i checked the ram and it didnt fix anything so i resorted to just formating the computer and reinstalling windows xp. Everything was going fine untill it got to about 25 mins left on the installation just after the part where you select keyboard layout, computer name, product key ect it just shut itself off again..

So now i know it wasnt anything with windows afterall its something to do with the hardware, any idea what it could be? I have checked the ram its not that and it is not overheating..

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Rich

Could be a bad motherboard. I've had a motherboard which would randomly crash, but that included safe mode or not so how long did you last on safe mode before you confirmed that it solved the problem?

I sometimes made bad statistics on determining what was the problem with my computer as I thought "Hey, it lasted 2 hours! It must fix the problem". But then I found out later it wasn't the case.

Before formating i had left it on safe mode over night and when i woke up next morning it was still on and everything was still fine so i knew that the problem wasnt happening when booting in safe mode that it was just when windows was booting normally.

booting it up in normal mode and managing to get to the login screen is very lucky and even if you leave the computer alone it will shut down after at max 5 mins if booted in normal mode, safe mode has never caused the computer to turn off.

Today i went and decided to eliminate things, bought new hard drive psu and ram but still does it, which i guess now just leaves the motherboard? Guess ill replace that tomorrow too and see if it fixes the problem.

Hmm, doesn't make too much sense to me why safe mode won't break but non-safe mode will if its a hardware issue. Must be something safe mode is preventing use of which is causing the crashing of your computer.

Yeah, my guess is still the motherboard.

I could just see Apple fanboys holding hands and laughing / dancing at our win PC expenses (unless Macs have their fair share of similar issues - I wouldn't know.. I'm not a Mac user [yet]).

Then I'd reply with saying that I bought two PCs (Yes, I do realize PCs don't only imply windows computers) and still have more money than the person who bought his Macintosh computer. And motherboards are extremely cheap anyways. You could buy yourself a pretty nice PC for 350$.

The main reason Mac lost such popularity is the enormous pricing (And I don't think anyone would debate against me on this) so I wonder if Linux will become the next major OS once it becomes more user friendly.

I wonder if Linux will become the next major OS once it becomes more user friendly

How much more user friendly does it need to get? Looked at Ubuntu lately?

I'm not sure Linux is ever going to get there (I wish it would), but its mostly due to marketing, not a failure to provide a good product. Things might start to change when the google OS comes out but we'll see.

How much more user friendly does it need to get? Looked at Ubuntu lately?

I'm not sure Linux is ever going to get there (I wish it would), but its mostly due to marketing, not a failure to provide a good product. Things might start to change when the google OS comes out but we'll see.

Well, the majority (Or so I think) of people who use a Windows OS is solely for entertainment purposes. I haven't checked up on Ubuntu or any Linux OS as of recent, but last I've seen, you still need to emulate computer games which makes games unstable and more inefficient. Well, actually I don't see how at any point they will ever be able to play a game designed for Windows without an emulator.

Also, people are slow to change as well which might be another reason Linux is getting growth so slowly. People still use Netscape Navigator 2.0 and windows 98, but give say, 15 years? Who knows.

Well ive fixed the problem now, it was indeed the motherboard but hey pretty much built a new pc lol only thing which is the same is the processor and case everything else got replaced when i was trying to figure out what it was. But at least it is fixed now.

Thanks for the help =) much appreciated

Rich

Well, the majority (Or so I think) of people who use a Windows OS is solely for entertainment purposes.

Really? Instead of pointing out facts and charts and surveys, I'm just gonna say this: Ever wonder why the mac vs. pc commercials characterize pc as a stuffy prude in a business suit, who's idea of fun is crunching numbers?

Really? Instead of pointing out facts and charts and surveys, I'm just gonna say this: Ever wonder why the mac vs. pc commercials characterize pc as a stuffy prude in a business suit, who's idea of fun is crunching numbers?

Hah. Glad you still have a sense of humour CV.  :D

And to answer your question, no, I don't really wonder. Entertainment is entertainment. When you see a joke, you don't say "Hey, lets be serious about humour!".

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.