[SOLVED] Can I consolodate usernames and passwords for forums, blogs etc?

webmaster1

Hi All,

I want to build a site where username and password for logging in are the same across all applications. i.e. if you log into one then you're logged into all of them or at least it's in some way relational

e.g. logging into the home page should automatically log you into SMF forum (I've noticed that this site doesn't do this)

I'm probably explaining this real bad but I want to avoid my members having to log in to the site and then having to re-log in to any subsequent PHP applications like SMF forum, wordpress or an image gallery.

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

In theory (and if you have an excellent knowledge of each application) it's just a case of using the same username & password (ie. same database) across all the applications.

In effect this means modifying all pages of all the programs to use the one central database.

There are pre-written "bridges" between some programs such as SMF & Joomla, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one that covers ALL your software packages.

Do you know any php?

Do you know any php?

Yep. I'm familiar with forms, mysql queries, databases in general and outputting the info into a web page. I've built a few CRM's and CMS's too.

I'm very interested in your suggestion. Do you have any links on where I could learn more on bridging applications? I'm basically thinking of integrating SMF and Wordpress with my own custom CMS.

Can you recommend any tutorials or resources?

:-*

Hi,

Google is your mate :)

I'd utilise something like this to get wordpress & SMF running in Sync, then alter your custom CMS to use the login mysql database (whichever one you choose as the master DB).

I suggest doing it this way because if you coded the CMS, you'll know exactly what files to edit that deal with Mysql user detail lookups :)

Hi,

Google is your mate :)

I'd utilise something like this to get wordpress & SMF running in Sync, then alter your custom CMS to use the login mysql database (whichever one you choose as the master DB).

I suggest doing it this way because if you coded the CMS, you'll know exactly what files to edit that deal with Mysql user detail lookups :)

Great. Thanks for the run-through. Sounds like I'll be having fun over the next few weeks.  :-*

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.