adding text fields depending on user input

digitalgod

I was just wondering if someone knew how can I have a text field where a user can enter a number and when he types lets say 3 it will add 3 text fields under it.

I know it can be done in AJAX but I really know nothing about AJAX for now so if someone could point me to a tutorial or a script that already does that would be great.

Thanks

www.ajaxfreaks.com is a good start for you.

But the point is you cant do that with AJAX, you can do that with Javascript! And for that textboxes:
[code]
function addTxtBox(number)
{
for (var i = 1 ; i <= number ; i++)
{
if (i > 1)
document.getElementById('txtBoxArea').innerHTML += "<br />" ;
document.getElementById('txtBoxArea').innerHTML += '<input type="text" id="txtBox'+number+'" name="txtBox'+number+'" />' ;
}
}
[code]
while your html code should like
[code]
<input type="text" id="txtBoxNum">
<input type="button" onclick="addTxtBox(document.getElementById('txtBoxNum'))">
<span id="txtBoxArea"></span>
[code]

I could be missing something so check the code. But that's generally how you can do.[/code][/code][/code][/code]

thanks radalin I'll give it a shot

the reason why I want to do it with ajax is that I don't want the user to click a button to add more boxes, I would really like it to be done as soon as the user enters a value.

Why can't it be done with ajax? I know I have a lot of reading to do...

ok did a few changes and made it work, I used a drop down instead with an onChange event. I'm guessing it would also work with a textbox and an onChange event but I'd have to limit the number allowed

thanks!

*edit*

got another question.. If a user selects 2, it will make 2 other fields appear, now if a user selects 3 right after, it will add another 3 boxes.... Any way I can stop that from happening?

[b]Nevermind I figured it out, simply added this at the begining of the function[/b]
[code]
document.getElementById('txtBoxArea').innerHTML = '';
[/code]

[quote author=digitalgod link=topic=104432.msg418086#msg418086 date=1155919811]
Why can't it be done with ajax? I know I have a lot of reading to do...
[/quote]

You can't do it with ajax because ajax is not a scripting language or something. It's a new way (well not that new because it's been 2 or 3 years since it's begun) to make things work. Ajax is the acronym of Asynchronus Javascript and XML. You use a client side script language, a server side script language and a type to transfer data. Generally client side is javascript. Server side varies from php to asp and data type varies from XML to JSON till simple texts. But Use JSON.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.