How to start own hosting company?

xcoderx

Yeah, ditto to the above. You could bye/hire all the hardware in the world but without the skills your going to be selling crap to your clients.

Have you ever used Bash?

no never did, but i wana start something of my own so i wana invest in something good. Me do not have idea on hardware and stuff either but am sure i could manage. What r the cheap and best server machines to get it started?

Agreed - hosting is already cut-throat as hell. If you are going to offer hosting, you better have a way to get customers besides low prices, because there are sites that offer hosting for $1/month, $0/month (http://www.absolutely-free-hosting.com/free_hosts_01.php)... hell, there's probably someone out there who'll host your site free and give you a cut of the ads he puts on it.

As far as shared hosting goes, its sorta pointless as people can just go free.

Now dedicated servers are another matter.

http://gate.com/dedicated/linux_dedicated.html

At the price of 800$ a month, you could buy the computer pieces in the cost of two months to rent. Although they of course are going to have fast internet (Or I assume so at 5TB of bandwidth). Although like the previous people said, excellent server administration skills is required.

You can always get a reseller account if you don't know anything about server administration.  I offer hosting only for my clients that I develop for, so I have full control over everything and they never really have any need or desire to access a control panel.  This allows me to give full support and customization for their website needs.

I'm part of a coop, so in essence we have our own hosting company.  There is quite a lot to it.  Basically you need:

-A colocation facility (or several)

-A contract for some amount of rack space + power

-A contract for bandwidth

-A router/firewall (although you may be able to use the ones provided by the colo company)

-Server(s)

-Software to handle signup/billing/support

-Software to handle server setup

-Software to provide client's the ability to configure their servers (WHM/Cpanel typically if *nix)

-(Probably) an agreement with some DNS provider allowing you subcontract Domain registration and maintenance

-If offering VPS, you need VPS software like Virtuozzo

The market is highly saturated at the the low end, and you aren't going to compete at the high end without at minmum multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars of investment, not to mention salaries for the staff of sysadmins/techs you'll need.

Remember -- you asked ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.