list menu tutorial

I can createa a MySQL database, and using MX2004 retrieve the information

I can also creat a dropdown List/menu

But I cannot find a tutorial that enables me to get the dropdown list to retrieve the information from the database using PHP

many thanks in anticipation for any help and advice.

Kind regards

Richard

Birmingham

England

This is a common question asked in this forum. The answer lies in the dreamweaver help files. Press F1. Look in developing php applications readily and there are walk throughs in the standard manual. Alternatively there is a better manual on the macromedia site. If you cant find it or it no longer exists by any chance email morpheus.100@virgin.net and I will send it. Its a pdf doc.

This is a common question asked in this forum. The answer lies in the dreamweaver help files. Press F1. Look in developing php applications readily and there are walk throughs in the standard manual. Alternatively there is a better manual on the macromedia site. If you cant find it or it no longer exists by any chance email morpheus.100@virgin.net and I will send it. Its a pdf doc.

Are you trying to do this with out submitting? As I have no idea how tha woudl work, but...

I have one set up and working where enter a pull down list in a form and create a query to dipsplay the info in the pull down dynamically, and then name the list field. I then and a submit button and link the form to the page that display the info.

I use this so out two people controling our equipment inventory can echange information on each model back and forth. Each model is in the pull down, once selected they can edit the information it brings up.

Query to pull information diplayed in menu/list

SELECT model
FROM yankee_equipment_inv
ORDER BY model ASC

I am using MySQL and I write a query to select information by what is displayed in the list when submitted.

Query to pull info from menu/list

SELECT id, model, stock, sold, on_order, comments
FROM yankee_equipment_inv
WHERE model = 'colname'
ORDER BY model ASC

colname = name of list/menu this is set then you create the recordset in DW.

This worked for me fairly easily, though I might not be explaining it right.

I can try to give more information if you need it.

Josh

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.