Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nothadoth

form not working for some reason :S

Every time I use this form to enter data in to my table in the database, it gives the error I wrote saying:

"Error! You did not fill in the form properly! Please click back and try again."

Could someone please take a look at it?

addproduct.php?mode=add_comp_cat
[code]if ($_GET['mode'] == "add_comp_cat") {

print "<table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' style='border-collapse: collapse; margin-top: 7' bordercolor='#000000' width='100%'>
  <tr>
    <td width='100%' height='27' background='".$ROOT."styles/images/contbar.jpg'><center><span class='t1'>ADD COMPUTING CATEGORY TO THE DATABASE</span></center></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td width='100%'><table border='0' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='5' style='border-collapse: collapse' width='100%'>
  <tr>
    <td width='100%'><div align='center'>
  <center>
<table border='0' cellpadding='5' cellspacing='0' style='border-collapse: collapse' width='100%'>
    <tr>
      <td width='100%'><div align='center'><form method='POST' action='productadd.php?mode=add_comp_cat'>
<table border='0' cellpadding='2' cellspacing='0' style='border-collapse: collapse'>
    <tr>
      <td width='200' height='22' align='center'><span class='t2'>Name</span></td>
      <td height='22'><input type='text' name='name' size='20'></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
      <td width='200' height='22' align='center'><span class='t2'>Parent</span></td>
      <td height='22'><select name='parent'>
      ";

mysql_connect('localhost','noth','disc89');
mysql_select_db('noth_igbltduk');  
$querycates = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM categories ORDER BY name ASC");
while($cates = mysql_fetch_array($querycates)) {

print "<option value='".$cates['name']."'>".$cates['name']."</option>";

}

print "</select></td>
    </tr>
        <tr>
      <td width='200' height='22' align='center'><span class='t2'>Thumb Image</span></td>
      <td height='22'><input type='text' name='thumb_img' size='20'></td>
    </tr>
  </table>

<input type='submit' value='Add Category' name='add_comp_cat'><input type='reset' value='Reset Fields' name='resetphones'>
</form></div></td>
    </tr>
  </table>
  </center>
</div>
</td>
  </tr>
</table>
</td>
  </tr>
</table>";

} [/code]

productadd.php?mode=add_comp_cat
[code]if ($mode = "add_comp_cat") {

if ($_POST['name'] == "" OR $_POST['parent'] == "" OR $_POST['thumb_img'] == "") {
  print "<table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' style='border-collapse: collapse' bordercolor='#000000' width='100%'>
  <tr>
    <td width='100%' height='27' background='".$ROOT."styles/images/contbar.jpg'><center><span class='t1'>ERROR ADDING TO DATABASE</span></center></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  <center>
  <table border='0' cellpadding='5' cellspacing='0' style='border-collapse: collapse' width='100%'>
    <tr>
      <td width='100%'><span class='t2'>Error! You did not fill in the form properly! Please click back and try again.</span></td>
    </tr>
  </table>
  </center>
</div>
</td>
  </tr>
</table>";

} else {

print "<table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' style='border-collapse: collapse' bordercolor='#000000' width='100%'>
  <tr>
    <td width='100%' height='27' background='".$ROOT."styles/images/contbar.jpg'><center><span class='t1'>ADDED TO THE DATABASE SUCCESSFULLY!</span></center></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
  <center>
    <tr>
      <td width='100%'>";

$name = $_POST['name'];
  $parent = $_POST['parent'];
  $thumb_img = $_POST['thumb_img'];

mysql_connect("localhost", "$dbuser", "$dbuserpass") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db('noth_igbltduk') or die(mysql_error());

mysql_query("INSERT INTO `productcategories_comp_sub` (name, parent, thumb_img) VALUES ('$name', '$parent', '$thumb_img')") or die(mysql_error());

Print "<span class='t2'>The following information was correctly entered in to the database:<br><br>

<B>Name:</B> ".$name."<br>
<B>Parent:</B> ".$parent."<br>
<B>Thumb Image URL:</B> ".$thumb_img."</span>";

print "</td>
    </tr>
  </table>
  </center>
</div>
</td>
  </tr>
</table>";

}

}[/code]

yeah because it works on all my other scripts.

just obviously i've missed or done something really silly here that i haven't realised. And i have too much to do in little time to re-do it.

so i thought i'd post it here because I couldn't figure it out

Of course it could always be that classic error,

[code]
if ($mode = "add_comp_cat")
[/code]

when you actually meant

[code]
if ($mode == "add_comp_cat")
[/code]

or perhaps even
[code]
if ($_GET["mode"] == "add_comp_cat")
[/code]

I'm not to comfortable with the form posting data to a url with parameters in it.

Why not just have pots data going to that script? simply add a hiden field like so

<input type="hidden" name="mode" id="mode" value="add_comp_cat" />

Thank you, works.

ToonMariner: Yeah I know what you mean. But it means rescripting a lot of stuff to do that because I have done it for a lot of things. I'll keep it in mind though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.