[SOLVED] fire away

Dorky

i launched about 4 months ago as a lagit co. i have 2 paying clients, 1probono, 1 side progect, and 1 chat site. all of this has led to a lot of hits but very few real clients. i just changed from a darker theme. i feel a full scale site would be overselling for a private designer but with the lack of income i am all ears about my direction. thx in advance.

http://studio378d.com

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a) it's not a very nicely-designed site. for such a small amount of content, you could certainly put a little more effort into prettying it up?

b) dark themes make reading difficult, and considering most of your selling points lie within that single paragraph, you should be making reading the easiest thing for the user to do. try light backgrounds and dark letters.

c) "Buisness" is not how one spells business.

d) i would suggest putting the completed works at the top of the list, followed by coming soon - clients are often more interested in real, completed projects rather than ones that have yet to be.

i am open for suggestions on how to pretty up my site. and of course i put the completed works under coming soon so as to get the visitor to use the scroll and notice the slight shadowing at top and bottom. looking for the completed works is what i was counting on. try as hard as it may be to look at it from a common users point of view. it is hard to not see things as a designer i know.

a) it's not a very nicely-designed site. for such a small amount of content, you could certainly put a little more effort into prettying it up?

b) dark themes make reading difficult, and considering most of your selling points lie within that single paragraph, you should be making reading the easiest thing for the user to do. try light backgrounds and dark letters.

c) "Buisness" is not how one spells business.

d) i would suggest putting the completed works at the top of the list, followed by coming soon - clients are often more interested in real, completed projects rather than ones that have yet to be.

well, one major concern is that your background actually distracts the user from the message you're trying to get them to focus on. a simple, single-colour or at least patterned background would be a step in the right direction. you're also wasting a fair bit of space - you might consider enlarging the main content box a bit and giving some of the content more padding?

well, one major concern is that your background actually distracts the user from the message you're trying to get them to focus on. a simple, single-colour or at least patterned background would be a step in the right direction. you're also wasting a fair bit of space - you might consider enlarging the main content box a bit and giving some of the content more padding?

ill get right on it. thx man.

You have misspelled, "Management", in the same line as your other mistake.  Spelling mistakes are something clients obviously look very down upon.  Makes you look like you're either too lazy, or incompetent to spell or even correct your spelling.

EDIT: You also misspelled "Wikipedia" twice.

Like akitchin mentioned, you should be using more real estate.  Why not?  I agree with your statement, "Statistics demand I have 15 seconds to get your attention or you will lose interest and move on.", but that doesn't mean that if they're interested they won't come back and want to check out the rest of your site.  I would suggest looking at some other freelance sites to see what content they have to offer.

Get rid of the binary background, looks to 90ish and it's a distraction.

Overall it looks like you were too lazy to include any more information and the site was made within a 5 hour span.  It has potential but needs some work.

ok bin bg is gone and spelling fixed. im not sure i want to oversell. im selling to sales people all day and when i myself as a person selling something am not convinced by long winded sales pitched the could otherwise be published as a novel. also i contrast to some other designers my port actually send the visitor to the sites listed so that also counts as content and the short content leaving the thirst for information is so they do not become bored before making it to the portfolio. if you bore the visitor by the time they leave the site you lose them and they have no reason to call or email for more info. i did read a bit of material regarding the psyc side of design. thus the position of my contact info.

ok bin bg is gone and spelling fixed

Good.

im selling to sales people all day and when i myself as a person selling something am not convinced by long winded sales pitched the could otherwise be published as a novel.

I don't think any of us are saying that.  I thought having more content, and by content I mean links, to other pages so you don't have to have an overwhelming amount of content on the landing page.  That way, if they are interested they have the option of clicking for more info.

also i contrast to some other designers my port actually send the visitor to the sites listed so that also counts as content and the short content leaving the thirst for information is so they do not become bored before making it to the portfolio.

I would like to hear your logic of how a portfolio with links to other websites counts as content.  When it directly has nothing to do with your site or explains anything about you or your business.  This is a standard for freelancers, they all have this.

if you bore the visitor by the time they leave the site you lose them and they have no reason to call or email for more info.

I understand the concept of minimalism and keeping the landing page short and sweet.  But if people are interested they are going to want to at least click to other pages for more information.

i did read a bit of material regarding the psyc side of design. thus the position of my contact info.

I think the contact information is perfectly fine where it is, but for the ease and convenience of the user and yourself, it would be nice to link to a separate page that has your own custom contact form where you can require and validate certain information.

i am open for suggestions on how to pretty up my site. and of course i put the completed works under coming soon so as to get the visitor to use the scroll and notice the slight shadowing at top and bottom. looking for the completed works is what i was counting on. try as hard as it may be to look at it from a common users point of view. it is hard to not see things as a designer i know.

Do you really feel that shadowed tops and bottoms are more important than showing the most relevant, appealing info first? If the user is scrolling down, it's to look for relevant information, not to notice random things like that. IMO your reasoning screams "I just learned a neat trick and I want to show it off."  You should be putting those "neat tricks" into your actual work.  Your website should show off your skills, yes, but that is not the primary purpose of your portfolio/business site. 

Also, I feel your page is a bit cramped.  If you really wanna make it that small, I suggest having a single, bigger preview image for each site, have only 1 show at a time, and have simple prev/next arrows that slide the next one in. 

When it directly has nothing to do with your site or explains anything about you or your business.

its a show of my work or design. that is directly related to my site because thats my product.

as for the suggested slide show portfolio.

im sure you noticed the lack of jscript. thats intentional. youtube, hulu, and many other major companies use it true. that doesnt stop it from causing problems with browsers.

"I just learned a neat trick and I want to show it off."

well we are here for opinion but its a show of attention to detail. i have been working on php of late true but i mastered html and css more then 2 years ago and have been in the computer industry for 15 years.

you asked for opinion and I (and others) are giving it.  No need to get snippy about things.  If you are going to respond to criticism by saying you know what you're doing because you mastered blahblah why bother making a thread like this?  Makes me think you're really just looking for a pat on the back.

Use gaussian blur on the gradient you are using for the background. Blur it a few times, then look at it as the background. It should get rid of those bars.

FANTASTIC. now thats usefull info.

Most of use gave you the same useful information, use more space.

you asked for opinion and I (and others) are giving it.  No need to get snippy about things.  If you are going to respond to criticism by saying you know what you're doing because you mastered blahblah why bother making a thread like this?  Makes me think you're really just looking for a pat on the back.

Indeed.  These are all suggestions, opinions, criticisms, etc... you don't have to implement them, you could use them to spark other ideas, you could completely disregard them.  No one is trying to degrade your site in any way, just ways we think could make it better.

ive said nothing snippy. i have done nothing more then explain my point of view. "I just learned a neat trick and I want to show it off." is more snippy then anything i have siad. please dont start trying to get my thread closed, if it makes you uncomfortable i disagree with you then stop posting on it.

Use gaussian blur on the gradient you are using for the background. Blur it a few times, then look at it as the background. It should get rid of those bars.

FANTASTIC. now thats usefull info.

Most of use gave you the same useful information, use more space.

Indeed.  These are all suggestions, opinions, criticisms, etc... you don't have to implement them, you could use them to spark other ideas, you could completely disregard them.  No one is trying to degrade your site in any way, just ways we think could make it better.

yes. as you can see i have used some of the suggestions on my site. reiterating what has been suggested, pointing out many have suggested the same is not in line with

you could completely disregard them

because clearly i have so why reiterate the point.

ive said nothing snippy. i have done nothing more then explain my point of view. "I just learned a neat trick and I want to show it off." is more snippy then anything i have siad. please dont start trying to get my thread closed, if it makes you uncomfortable i disagree with you then stop posting on it.

I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me.  But responding to "you should do xyz" with "I think I know what I'm doing, I'm a master" is a snippy way of disagreeing.  I don't even care if you wanna be snippy about it. I didn't say "don't be snippy or I'll close the thread." I said, "If you're going to respond like that, why bother even asking for people's opinions?"

I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me.  But responding to "you should do xyz" with "I think I know what I'm doing, I'm a master" is a snippy way of disagreeing.  I don't even care if you wanna be snippy about it. I didn't say "don't be snippy or I'll close the thread." I said, "If you're going to respond like that, why bother even asking for people's opinions?"

i have some things i feel could be better and some things that are such because of design concept out side of web design. voicing what i think is fine is not snippy. as you can see a lot of what was suggested has been implemented. i feel that shows my openness to suggestion. implying i just learned a new trick does not in any way give fact to what is wrong or right about that part of the site. and insist as you may, informing you that it was by no means a new trick due to my exp with css does not make it a snippy comment. and in totality this line of conversation dragging on will undoubtedly get the thread closed so if it does not pertain to fact based posting as the rules require why are these complaints not being sent as a pm.

i have some things i feel could be better and some things that are such because of design concept out side of web design. voicing what i think is fine is not snippy. as you can see a lot of what was suggested has been implemented. i feel that shows my openness to suggestion. implying i just learned a new trick does not in any way give fact to what is wrong or right about that part of the site. and insist as you may, informing you that it was by no means a new trick due to my exp with css does not make it a snippy comment. and in totality this line of conversation dragging on will undoubtedly get the thread closed so if it does not pertain to fact based posting as the rules require why are these complaints not being sent as a pm.

my intention was not to insult your html/css expertise.  My intention was to question your reasoning for your project ordering.  Your reasoning was that you did it on purpose to force people to notice the shadowing.  I was pointing out that that's not really the primary purpose of a site like that, and people aren't scrolling down to notice features, they are scrolling down to find info.  On your site you even said you have like 15s to grab someone by the balls so to speak.  So why are you making it harder for them to find what they are looking for? 

Good design is not just about making something look good.  It's about getting your point across; communicating.  It's like if I were to go to a car dealership and I'm walking around the showroom, and I ask the salesman about the mpg on a car or how it rates in the crash tests etc... and instead he's trying to show me all the shiny buttons and stuff.  That's what I feel like your site is doing, the purpose of that comment. That's my opinion, take it or leave it. If you disagree and think it's fine, then okay.  I have no issues with disagreeing.  But when you're like "I am a html/css master I know what I'm doing" sort of thing, it sounds snippy and more like you aren't interested in being critiqued.  I think maybe you just took it the wrong way and both of us have been progressively making it out to be a much bigger deal than it is.

thats a lot easier for me to understand. i will be adding a contact form. but as far as the content, its intended to leave you wanting more. the fact that it was noticed by most that their should be more tells me its doing what its intended to do. the pricing and prospect of long term management may not stick out to anyone in the industry but that, the pricing, and short sweet information, is all together(looking at the forest) is what will appeal to the hundreds of potential clients in my local area that have to pay gobs for minor upgrades or have been ripped off by designers they can no longer make contact with(go fig) or the "do it youselfers" that have finally given in to pay someone to do it. i did a lot of talking to bis owners around here and did some reading on the psyc part of design. keep in mind im selling managed services. those kind of customers dont want to be bothered with facts and figures other then what its going to cost them, thats why they opt for a managed service. nobody buys a benz for gas mileage or reliability. i mostly wanted suggestions on aesthetics but the bad spelling notice was an added bonus. all im saying is i didnt post because im clueless, i have a "business" model to stick to and a targeted demographic. the site needed to look better but you cant change everything about the game in the first quarter.

I dont know what program you are using to edit the image. But from my experience with Photoshop, I found that small incremented gaussian blurs worked well when applied a bunch of time. This will keep the gradient looking like the original gradient you intended, but a lot smoother. Also, in Photoshop, I would use 'Save for web' as opposed to plain old save as.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.