About View Source Code

insane23

pointless exercise. You can disable the menu altogether when opening a pop-up with js BUT one of the browsers I use (avant) keeps thes menus availoabel at all times.

The only option you have is something driven by javascript and people can turn that off - so I woudl not bother trying.

Some busineses that did not want the html stealing designed entire sites in flash.....

you can do a number of things to deter [i]would-be[/i] pirates from taking your images or source, but there is no fix at all that is 100% reliable. in every browser i've used, there is a way around all the fixes, but there are some things you can do to throw someone off for a little bit. one thing i learned from amazon is an extremely easy thing, but it really threw me for a loop the first time i saw it. i hit "view source" on one of their pages, and it came up with a blank page... when i looked closer, i realized they simply placed about 300 blank lines at the top of their source code, but it really made me stop and wonder when i saw [b]nothing[/b] on the source page.

other than little tricks like that, though, you're only going to slow down the people that aren't too adamant about getting to your stuff. if it's on web, it can be accessed by a sufficiently determined individual.

You could also use something like [code]wget http://example.com/whatever_file.html[/code] to download the HTML source code to view it. And if you use Firefox (I don't know if it works in other browsers), you could type something like view-source:http://www.phpfreaks.com in your address bar to view the source.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.