Cloud Computing?

N1CK3RS0N

From what I've gathered over the past month or so, Cloud Computing is basically web based apps, like Google Docs. It's where all your computing is done on external severs on the internet (The "Cloud") so you just need a browser, and the programs will all be done on websites

I think it's more of a buzz word for several different concepts. It seems that core idea is to distribute the data and computing power...

anyway, you're probably not the only person having problem with understanding what EXACTLY it means.

Although, it's not limited to remote storage - It also include remote processing. I've seen some concept somewhere for playing bleeding-edge games on 'The Cloud', although that would require some fairly wide bandwidth I'd imagine!

It's a buzz word for a retro concept. Storing your stuff on a mainframe and using a thin client/terminal to access it.

I think the key difference, although the same concept is that the cloud represents a network of servers, rather than one big mainframe. In the end I like to have power at my fingertips, not in the air so to speak.

I think it's more of a buzz word for several different concepts. It seems that core idea is to distribute the data and computing power...

anyway, you're probably not the only person having problem with understanding what EXACTLY it means.

Haha, yeah. Figured that.

As one article I read said, "everyone seems to have a different definition of 'cloud computing'".

Amazon provide some of the most popular cloud computing tools, they work extremely well for low budget outfits, but also allow very quick scaling. You see you only rent what you need, saving capital on hardware and maintenance etc.

Microsoft also have a cloud computing platform called Azure... needless to say when they demoed it at a conference I attended earlier in the year the speaker couldn't get it to work, not surprising really.

If any of you have used the app Dropbox then you might know that that runs on Amazons S3 platform (http://aws.amazon.com/s3/).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.