MS are the best!!!

trq

I'm thinking someone's gotta be in trouble for that.

Hell, we have new book and software launches where I work almost weekly and need sites made for most of them. If something like this was to go live, I would be gone.

Up till about 2 months ago I would have jumped in on the Microsoft bashing, but then I tried Windows 7. And I realised something. Yes, they failed with Vista. Yes, they failed with ME. But they have the XBox, which has some awesome video streaming when hooked up to Media Player. Their Media Center is pretty awesome as a PVR. XP was pretty well done, when I was old enough to examine it closely anyway. Office is useful, though OpenOffice is better. I just don't give Microsoft enough credit nowdays. I'm not going to start, but I've decided not to bash Microsoft all the time now (Just some of the time)

You know what the problem is with big companies, and this is starting to hold true for Google as well: they have too much power. This reflects in the software they make and as soon as you want something they don't make (something you can't choose without other trade-offs further limiting your choices) you're going to have a problem with this company. Whether this company is called Microsoft or Foo Inc, you lose choices, and with it freedom, you get annoyed. Simple as that.

Hah, oh dear.

And not an internet company? What's the .NET framework all about then?

Lets be honest here, Microsoft would be no where they are today if it wasn't for their OS. If you think of Microsoft, the first thing that comes to mind is "OS", not "Big evil money greedy cooperation" or "MSN" or "Microsoft word" or anything else that isn't an OS. Although I guess you could bring up Vista as an example if you want to MS bash but thats a little done over.

As there are always alternatives to what you could use excluding a Microsoft OS. For browsers before FF, you could have kept with Netscape Navigator 2.0 (Although that sucked). There are plenty of word processors, although I don't know how they compare to Microsoft Word as thats the only one I've used and not for very long. As for MSN.com/Bing.com, well, google.com is obvious. Now ASP, well, the answer to that should be pretty obvious considering the forum we are on.  ;)

So we can pretty much find something to replace Microsoft products /excluding/ the OS. Sure, you could bring up Mac/Linux, but the first is expensive and the second is free but is not very useful for the average person. They both /can/ play computer games, but at some terrible efficiency compared to a windows OS due to emulators.

Mostly what I'm saying is the only thing I want Microsoft to do right is the OS, everything else can be done by some other people (Examples given in previous paragraph).  What do you people use that is Microsoft besides the OS and can't be readily replaced? (Well heck, I bet half of you don't even use Microsoft OS in the first place.)

PugJr I don't think you're really being fair in your assessment of MS vs. XXX. 

- IE continues to dominate the market, which is why people are always bitching about having to cater to early versions of it.  Or catering to even the new versions of it, despite them not "adhering the standards". 

• OT: If you virtually owned the market on something, and all of a sudden a bunch of little guys get together and decide amongst themselves to make a "standard" so they can all work nice together, but even collectively they are still the minority, and then this minority turns around and declares their "standard" as the, well, standard, what would you do?  Especially when they try to bad-mouth you for not following this "standard."?  You can't honestly say you'd act any different than microsoft. You'd be like uh..who the fuck are you guys trying to tell me what to do?  People adopt that attitude even when they are the minority.  That is not to say that the "standard" is a bad idea.  But adhering to what the minority considers standard would be bad business for the people in the majority. Majority rules. Microsoft has no good business reason to bow down to the so-called "standards".  Quickly losing market share? Sure. Like I said, I don't think these "standards" are bad.  But think about it.  If Microsoft were to over-night release a browser 100% 'standards' compliant, and did everything they could to get people to upgrade (which they could very effectively do), what happens then? IE is now on the same level as everybody else.  People will be more willing and likely to look at others.  IE's % start dropping.  I called it right here: Microsoft's stance and strategy is that they are the majority, the standards are good, so their numbers will go down regardless, but it would go down much faster to outright comply.  Hold out until their shit is about the same as everybody else's %'s, then comply.  Then you'll see them start to dip their fingers in the pie as far as being a part of these "standards".

- Bing.com is relatively new.  Google has been around forever.  Of course google.com has a much bigger presence as far as search engines.  I think it's kind of funny how your main argument for everything else is "there's an alternative". Well the shoe is on the other foot in this case.  Bing.com is the alternative.  But you are nonetheless poking at it.  Seems kind of double-standard to me...

- Microsoft Office is used by like 95% of the business world.  There's a reason why the mac vs. pc commercials stereotype pc as a dull guy in a business suit.  100 poor stoners using some "hip,cool" alternative, or 10 business guys with $$ in their pockets.  Do the math.

No, you are missing what I'm saying.

What would you /lose/ if IE wasn't made? What would you /lose/ if Bing wasn't made? What would you /lose/ if ASP wasn't made?

The answer to these, would be very little if anything as previously stated excluding Microsoft Word as I can't tell you if it is significantly better than any other word processor and as well as IE but IE is kinda an exception as "evil microsoft" doesn't charge to use it. Now as far as a personal use computer goes, MS OS is unbeatable.

What would we /lose/ if google wasn't made?

We can use dogpile, but if I remember correctly, that was far worse than google, but I guess its just lesser quality so you could state NN2:IE::Dogpile:Google

The Bing.com was rather a premature guess about how its going so I'll agree as its only been around for what? 3 months? Half year? Switch bing.com with msn.com then. Both search engines have lived a long time as far as the internet is concerned.

Anyways I was just using that as an example so if you are a MS man and all MS products excluding the OS never existed. What would you do? My objective here is to show that it wouldn't really be much worse if at all.

Also, don't get me wrong about IE as I still like IE but I just don't see very much suffering to me if it was never to come to existence. As well I would never bring up how FF is "standard" and IE isn't as there are definitely some cases where FF isn't standardized.

Also, just because something is more common does not mean its better by any means as you seem to be saying with your Microsoft Office paragraph, although I'm also not saying that it isn't the best, just saying that popularity votes aren't always right, as I can't judge if there is something close to Microsoft Office. Like for instance, IE is the most popular, but lots of people would say FF is better and you probably would agree with that, would you not?

But it is a rather unfair comparison with the browser shares that use IE, considering that /all/ Microsoft OS computers (Well obviously not MSDOS but you know what I mean) have IE originally installed upon them, so either way, you are gonna have to use it even if you do want to install FF or Chrome or whatever choice of browser you want. If lets say, Windows 7, starts with Google Chrome instead of IE8, I have an odd feeling no one is going to bother downloading IE on Windows 7.

I believe IE would have still been largely popular assuming when you install Microsoft, you get to choose your browser, during early 2000, but now, I highly doubt so.

So we can pretty much find something to replace Microsoft products /excluding/ the OS. Sure, you could bring up Mac/Linux, but the first is expensive and the second is free but is not very useful for the average person. They both /can/ play computer games, but at some terrible efficiency compared to a windows OS due to emulators.

Windows Vista Ultimate - £100

OS X Leopard - £70

Granted, you almost always need Apple hardware to run OS X, which is generally more expensive than the hardware that can run Windows.

At what point did you come to the conclusion that GNU/Linux is not very useful for the average person? What doesn't it do that Windows does do?

Hah, oh dear.

And not an internet company? What's the .NET framework all about then?

Lets be honest here, Microsoft would be no where they are today if it wasn't for their OS. If you think of Microsoft, the first thing that comes to mind is "OS", not "Big evil money greedy cooperation" or "MSN" or "Microsoft word" or anything else that isn't an OS. Although I guess you could bring up Vista as an example if you want to MS bash but thats a little done over.

Not arguing they wouldn't. Saying you can't say Microsoft isn't an 'internet company' since the fact that they've held the title of the most used web browser since about 1995. Not to mention most commonly used IM software, developed scripting languages and frameworks (.NET, VB Script, Silverlight, to name a few), search engines, the list goes on and I'm not going to try and think them all up. But they have a huge presence (if only second to Google these days) on the internet, they are not a company plainly or mostly about operating systems.

Windows Vista Ultimate - £100

OS X Leopard - £70

Granted, you almost always need Apple hardware to run OS X, which is generally more expensive than the hardware that can run Windows.

At what point did you come to the conclusion that GNU/Linux is not very useful for the average person? What doesn't it do that Windows does do?

Generally? It isn't generally, it is. Go to any standard PC and Mac selling site. Lets use Apple.com and Dell.com. From what I see, Dell.com's cheapest is $269 (From what I found) and Apple.com is $599 (From what I found). I'm shocked to see a Mac even go for 599$, but regardless of that cheap price for a Mac, thats still more than twice as much.

Also, who would buy Vista Ultimate? You would buy Win XP without all the fancy things as all they do is just increase RAM usage with only trivial benefits from what I've seen. Win XP is cheaper than 70$.

Well, last I checked Linux has difficulties with everything. Even just installing a video card driver, but I could be totally wrong about that now. Emulation is a huge thing you have to do among a Linux and do you believe average Joe wants to emulate everything? No, they just want to hit the first mouse button twice and run it. I know they are being better supported, but its all a matter of degree and if its as much as Windows XP has, I'm sure more than 2% (Although that 2% could be off from statistics as they can't be very accurate) would be using it.

MrAdam, as my previous post said, readily replaced. AIM can be readily replaced by YIM or a million other types. Its just the most convenient to use as Windows XP starts with it.

You are completely off about the most used since '95. Look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer

Most used would look like about...since '99. Although I'm rather confused about IE as Microsoft doesn't even charge people to use it, well not recent versions considering they have free versions for Mac and UNIX but I'm not sure how long that was.

Those scripting languages and frameworks can be replaced unless there is something unique about them, but I always thought they were just another Microsoft product saying "Hey, you only need Microsoft". Remember, MrAdam, that a large reason many of their programs are popular is because the OS exists. IE would be one exception.

But anyways, I was just mostly trying to say "Don't bash Windows if it isn't for their OS as thats where they should shine and DO shine.". I'll sum up everything I was saying with that.

Must agree CV about people complaining about the top. Oh good news pal, there are three (3) new Mac advertisements!  :D

Well, last I checked Linux has difficulties with everything.

That has to be a joke.

Even just installing a video card driver, but I could be totally wrong about that now.

Indeed. Unless you are running absolute cutting edge hardware, there shouldn't be too many difficulties at all with drivers.

But anyway, where getting a little off topic here. All I initiated this post for was to basically show that MS can't even get a product launch website working, can they really be trusted to develop a decent OS? I just think it is funny.

Seems though that finally someone noticed the link in question was misspelt and has finally fixed it some three days later.

Thorpe, my comment on the "Well, last I checked Linux has difficulties with everything." was  directed towards Average Joe. To you and professionals, of course it isn't difficult but that goes with everything.

Okay, so they made Linux easier as its easy to install a video card driver but even still very, very, few games support Linux making it troublesome for average Joe as average Joe is a computer game player and doesn't want to find an emulator. Most people who own a computer aren't experts and know how to fix problems, of course if you say "Hey, look at everyone here", that would rather be biased as people who find programming "fun" are not average.

A child of 5 could install Vista with all drivers as all you have to do pretty much besides typing in a username and password is hitting the "next" button. For the driver bit, the child would need to know to press the "Install Windows Updates when shutting down.". That includes Video Card drivers, Motherboard drivers, etc. Actually, I was surprised how easy it was to install Vista but I guess its necessary as my motherboard CD didn't even support Vista.

But okay okay, difficulties with everything is much too broad as that would be wrong. How about just "More difficulties than a Vista user would have if you are average Joe and reformatting." I really need to revise my statements a little bit as this is twice now.  :-\

Also, what OS are you running thorpe and which do you believe has the highest grade of support/ease to use.

Oh good news pal, there are three (3) new Mac advertisements!  :D

3? Ah must find other 2.  I saw one on TV today.  pc behind news desk announcing Windows 7 and went to a reporter doing 'live coverage' and everybody was buying a mac.  underlying message/theme: "you gotta go through trouble move all your shit for Win7 anyways...good opportunity to try out a mac!"  Thought it was brilliant :P now mac gets to leech off MS's publicity efforts lol.

448191, I'm not saying there aren't any games for Linux, just not very many. But can it run Crysis? (Bet ya didn't see that one coming!)(Without an emulator of course)  ;)

You can also play Excalibur: Morganas Revenge!

CV, http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/ will show the list up but if you are too lazy...

Broken Promises ( We get to see hip and cool PC from Windows 2 all the way to Windows Vista! I wonder what his new outfit will be for Windows 7...Also what the bloody is the commerical even saying? What problems did XP or 2000 have? They can bash Vista all they like but 2000 and XP? Thats uncalled for.)

Teeter Tottering (Its just a lame rip-off of the ad you just saw. Those two are about customer satisfaction and a Vista user going to Mac. They don't make 'em like they used to. The pie chart was just classic as well as the Choose a vista one. )

Gah! Everytime I post someone else posts. First CV and now its Corb!  :'(

Corbin, you actually found someone who believes those ads? I thought it was pretty much just a sitcom... (Excluding Mac users of course as that would be an unfair comparison)

EDIT: Listing of new mac ads: Broken Promises, Teeter Tottering, and PC News.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.