I got my hosting suspended XD

Garethp

So I saw this challenge a day or so ago

http://www.programming-challenges.com/pg.php?page=downloadproblem&probid=110101&format=html

And I thought to myself "Well, what about numbers over 1,000,000?" So I created a program to check if it worked for any two numbers, and had it check numbers 1,000,000 - 6,000,000... but it gave me an error message before it finished. Now I've been suspended because of that XD Oh well, I just hope getting unsuspended is fast

Yeah, well heavy applications generally isn't the best idea for a shared hosting plan. Why don't you do it on your own computer that way you can still compete?

EDIT: Although if Daniel gets around to replying to this board, he will probably tell you why it will always equal 1. (Assuming it does.)

Hahah, cool. Well, as for the why, I did start but it was causing some SERIOUS lagage on my computer (I only have a 3.1GHz Dual Core AMD) and I wanted to browse the internet and maybe watch some videos at the same time. And then I thought "Hey, wait a minute! I have a server! I'll get that to do it for me!" I forgot I was on shared hosting...

Lol. If something is eating up your computer to 100%, it'll surely get you in trouble with any shared.

Also 3.1GHz Dual Core is fast compared to my 2.12 P4. (I can run crysis at about 3 FPS a second!)  :P

Also, how do they treat fractions? Like for instance 1,000,001 / 2 = 500000, 499999, or 499999.5?

EDIT: Although if Daniel gets around to replying to this board, he will probably tell you why it will always equal 1. (Assuming it does.)

Heh... if professional mathematicians can't prove it, I'm not even going to bother. I might have taken a shot at it if it was already proven though.

Heh... if professional mathematicians can't prove it, I'm not even going to bother. I might have taken a shot at it if it was already proven though.

But you don't get any kudos for proving something already exists if it already has been proven so!

hmm is this your first time doing something like that? kinda hard to imagine a shared hosting company suspending you on your first infraction...esp a minor one like that...not like they caught you operating a pr0n site or somethin'...

I wouldn't call using all the CPU time on a shared server a minor offense. It has a detrimental effect on all the other sites on that server.

hmm is this your first time doing something like that? kinda hard to imagine a shared hosting company suspending you on your first infraction...esp a minor one like that...not like they caught you operating a pr0n site or somethin'...

Bleh... I got my account suspended for alleged 'mass mailing'. Thing is I've been doing this (sending a newsletter actually) each month for several months and no one ever complained. Then out of the blue I am suspended without any information what for and wait for hours before support even replies to my emails (and 7 days before they reactivate my account)

Boy was I pissed off...

I wouldn't call using all the CPU time on a shared server a minor offense. It has a detrimental effect on all the other sites on that server.

right. But being a shared server, the hosting company probably already covers their ass in the ToS about one account affecting other accounts.  2nd, a "first offense" over some random script that happens to be extra memory hungry...just kinda depends.. some script kiddie trying to launch a DoS attack? Sure, kick'em to the curb. But for instance, if I write some random script, forgot to do something like increment a variable and cause an infinite loop that gobbles up memory...i'd be pretty pissed off if my host suspended my account because of that. Esp if it was the first time they contacted me.  I would expect some kind of warning.  I guess "mass mailing" might be one of those higher ranking no-no scripts though...

lmao! You got suspend for doing a math problem and hogging all the cpu or something. That is hilarious man!

This is why I have a Dedicated server, I can't shared hosting, can't even stand VPS. Basically I can't stand being limited, I need full access and run of my environment.

Core 2 Quad Q6600

8GB ram

1TB harddrive.

Costs, $3108/year

I am my hosting company. ;)

Core 2 Quad Q6600

8GB ram

1TB harddrive.

Costs, $3108/year

$3108/year isn't exactly free...259$ a month? That isn't exactly a trivial fee. How can it cost so much for hosting your own server? After you bought the initial (computer), what more is there? Electricity, place to house the computer, and internet. Internet is ...80$ month which should be plenty fast for you unless you have a huge website/using tons of bandwidth. Electricity? Really can't make up for the other 179$.

Core 2 Quad Q6600

8GB ram

1TB harddrive.

Costs, $3108/year

$3108/year isn't exactly free...259$ a month? That isn't exactly a trivial fee. How can it cost so much for hosting your own server? After you bought the initial (computer), what more is there? Electricity, place to house the computer, and internet. Internet is ...80$ month which should be plenty fast for you unless you have a huge website/using tons of bandwidth. Electricity? Really can't make up for the other 179$.

Yeah 259 a month, its in a datacenter in Chicago,United States @ www.fdcservers.net . The bandwidht there is so cheap is like water! Really I'm not kidding.

It not a trivial fee though is it, but  my websites make enough to pay for themselves. So its good.  :D

Erm...

I am my hosting company.

So are you hosting your own dedicated server or not? You seem to be contradicting yourself.

its in a datacenter in Chicago,United States @ www.fdcservers.net .

Or are you saying you own fdcservers.net?

So are you hosting your own dedicated server or not? You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Servers need a place to reside. I don't see any contradiction. Data centres / co-locations aren't exactly cheap.

Whats exactly wrong with where he is living? This is what I'm understanding (Followed with quotes saying where I got my understanding from):

1. He has a dedicated server from www.fdcservers.net

Yeah 259 a month, its in a datacenter in Chicago,United States @ www.fdcservers.net .

2. He is hosting his own dedicated server.

I am my hosting company.

So the only logical answer is that he owns fdcservers.net or he is contradicting.

Whats exactly wrong with where he is living?

Most people wouldn't have the infrastructure. While I run personal servers myself from home, if I have a power out, my ups will only run for around 45mins. Data centres generally have enough power to see any power out through.

Do you have ups's and generators at your house?

Most dedicated servers are hosted within data centres or co-locations.

Do you have ups's and generators at your house?

I don't know which country you are in, but black outs are a rare occurrence.  Probably no more than one black out for a year and that is only for 15 minutes or something. So no, I don't have any alternate energy.

I guess you could include the ability to have fiber optics as not being a standard in every living area so I suppose if his server is busy it would be explainable.

Still though, why did he say he was hosting his own dedicated server if he wasn't?

I believe he is. Your just a little confused about what that generally means.

So does hosting your own dedicated server mean the same thing as renting a dedicated server? So would this make sense:

I am hosting my own shared spot.

In this example I am not actually hosting it but renting it, but what he is saying would mean that I am actually hosting my shared spot when I'm not?

Its a matter of perspective I guess. And really, I think your being a bit pedantic about it.

My point is. Generally, whether you own your own server, or rent a dedicated server you generally need to have them placed within a rented space within a data centre.

I guess hosting your own dedicated would mean you actually run the data centre in question, or have the box sitting in your spare bedroom if you want to get pedantic about it.

Erm...

I am my hosting company.

its in a datacenter in Chicago,United States @ www.fdcservers.net .

Or are you saying you own fdcservers.net?

Own a datacenter, I wish.  :D

Maby you dont understand how hosting works. A datacenter is a facility hooked up to a internet backbone. A hosting company could be just a person renting or collocating a few boxes in that datacenter, Most shared hosting businesses are exactly that. So  saying,  I'm my own hosting company, is just mostly a joke or sarcasm. Although datacenter themselves also offer hosting, but not in the form of shared hosting, they can rent you a dedicated server or VPS, alternatively you can drive there too and bring your own hardware and they hook it up.  Yeah colocated is more cheaper, but I'm not doing that. I'm renting a box that I do not own either.

Most people wouldn't have the infrastructure. While I run personal servers myself from home, if I have a power out, my ups will only run for around 45mins. Data centres generally have enough power to see any power out through.Do you have ups's and generators at your house?

I used host my own server when I was learning. haha no-ip.com.  and whole installing the lamp stack and figuring it all out.

I don't think now it would be possible. Can you push a few TB threw a home cable modem a month?  :shrug:

I think if it were my ISP would be a bit worried of my bandwidth consumption.  :D

Can you push a few TB threw a home cable modem a month?  :shrug:

Assuming there are 30 days in all months and an 10 Mbps connection, you can theoretically upload just about 10 TB/month.

Many ISPs would probably not let you make money off a residential line, so you would have to upgrade.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.