Best ways to learn PHP

OM2

I need some advice to learn coding in PHP

I'm no stranger to coding + I've done lots of PHP coding

The PHP coding I've done are very very simple things or just tweaking existing code

I've always got freelancers to code for me

I've decided to upskill and learn

What would be a good place to start?

I haven't really got into OO coding, so would like to get into this as well

How do the frameworks fit into things? Should I start reading up on these at the same time as well?

Books? Any recommendations? Should I just head for O'Reilly?

I don't need a guide to tell me about variables and loops - but I do need something to give me an overview of other things

How about Lynda.com? Any good?

Thanks

OM

There's a good free book in my signature (Hudzilla). The best thing about books is they move in a progression. So, if you don't skip sections you should get a pretty good grasp by the end of the book. The problem is, most people are in a hurry and skip parts. They then however wonder why they still need tutorials.

I read and re-read at least 3 php books before having any confidence that I knew php, and that was just the beginning. The best thing would be to go to the bookstore or library and get some books. Most books from O'rielly books or Wrox books are pretty good.

I would get a book that has projects in in that you would like to have on your site.  Some people can't read a programing book straight through and comprehend everything.  So let say you get to a part of the book and your like WTF is this talking about, just skip it.  Get to the tutorial code and start playing with it.  Once you start working with the code you find out what you can or can't do with it.  You will get to a point where you start pushing your code beyond what you know.  Than when you have to go back to the book to reread what you skipped over it will all make better sense.  Least this way works for me but I am more of a hands on type of person than a book type person.

The problem is, most people are in a hurry and skip parts. .

Most people are in a hurry period. In our society everyone expects instant results. It took me 2 years to learn PHP.  This is where people  just quit when they hear that.

The PHP coding I've done are very very simple things or just tweaking existing code

I've always got freelancers to code for me

Editing premade scripts is a good way to learn. This is how I learned, really the comments in php source code and the php manual is better then tutorials!

I also picked up HTML,CSS and bit of javascript doing that too. My knowledge of all those is also quite extensive. I would suggest when your ready create some website for a project, I did this about 1 year ago with Codeignitor, it was really hard and probably spent like 3 weeks on it, the site worked, but the code was just really bad, I think It only worked because codeignitor framework makes it really easy not to screw up. lol O'Rielly books are good, I've bought 2 of them at chapters but there really expensive like 50 dollar a book. Watch out though some them are old, make sure to get books that cover PHP 5 +. Some of them are still talking about PHP 4 and there still selling at full retail. >:(

Editing premade scripts is a good way to learn.

I have to disagree with that. There's just way too much poorly written code around these days and if you don't know what your doing, all you end up doing is learning bad habits.

guys, thanks for the replies

that really helps a lot

will be following the advice u guys gave

There's a good free book in my signature (Hudzilla). The best thing about books is they move in a progression. So, if you don't skip sections you should get a pretty good grasp by the end of the book. The problem is, most people are in a hurry and skip parts. They then however wonder why they still need tutorials.

the link doesn't seem to be working - is the website down or something?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.