Hosting Opinions

Koobi

my site's hosted by dreamhost.com

pro's:
* great support team so far
* great disk space/bandwidth
* ruby on rails support
* PHP5 (as a CGI) and PHP4 (as a CGI and Apache module) can be installed and run depending on your .htaccess with your own php.ini settings because you can create a customer installation (aka developers heaven :))
* SSH access with a full UNIX shell (developer heaven again)
* CSV and SVN repository (aaaand developer heaven)

there's a bunch of other things but the above is all i care about :)

can't think of any cons. i've been very happy with them so far.

i currently use [url=http://www.yrhost.com]www.yrhost.com[/url].  i'll admit that they aren't the best, but for a cheap plan they aren't too bad.  i haven't had many problems with settings or access, but i also haven't done any heavy development using the server as my crutch.

the uptime was a little bit unreliable at first (with hour-2ish outages every few weeks/months), but i haven't seen any unscheduled downtime for the last year or so now.  their support isn't too bad, albeit a little bit slow (this issue seems to plague many hosts).

i have the second-cheapest plan ($50 USD/yr), and it has served its purpose.  however, i am soon moving to a resellers' hosting plan with someone else since the management of multiple domains/sites leaves something to be desired in my current plan (and their admin panel for resellers' packages is total crap).

good for cheap, shared hosting for one site.  probably not a preferable host for multiple sites.

I have a few hosts.

olm.net - #1 pick
- Great host, awesome uptime, reliable, fast, great tech support if needed
- $49.95/mo for VPS

1and1.com
- Pretty good host, decent uptime, slow database creation (after you put in a request for a MySQL DB it takes about 5 hours to actually use), fast, nice desktop login app
- $3.95/mo for beginner I think. (Just trying it out)

servage.net
- Lots of space, lots of bandwidth, kinda slow for me, overseas so you can have whatever you want on there ;)...if you have those sites
- $90 for 14 months.

I use OLM for all of my big sites, servage for smaller sites, and I'm just currently testing out 1and1 and seeing how they are with bigger sites.

Overall I am pretty happy with the hosts and the types of sites I have on them. I tend to be pretty picky when I place a site on a host.

-Chris

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.