Bye bye geocities!

Adam

Heard about this in the spring, but apparently today is D-day.

As much as I love the web today, I miss the kind of small-scale, home brew atmosphere the internet had in spades in the late 90's/early 2000's.  It really felt like a digital frontier back then, where small clusters of enterprising nerds would create fan sites for their favorite game, anime, or manga.  Not that it doesn't happen today, but the rough edges made everything feel more quaint.  Nothing quite like being on one of my campus' linux boxes surfing to find a good Phantasy Star fan site.

Did you check out the source code?

<HTML WEB="2.0">

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="QBASIC">IF $BROWSER = "IE" THEN GOTO 50</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE='SCHEME'>(define (eval exp env)  (cond ((self-evaluating? exp) exp)  ((variable? exp) (lookup-variable-value exp env))  ((quoted? exp) (text-of-quotation exp))  ((assignment? exp) (eval-assignment exp env))  ((definition? exp) (eval-definition exp env))  ((if? exp) (eval-if exp env))  ((lambda? exp)  (make-procedure (lambda-parameters exp)  (lambda-body exp)  env))  ((begin? exp)   (eval-sequence (begin-actions exp) env))  ((cond? exp) (eval (cond->if exp) env))  ((application? exp)  (apply (eval (operator exp) env)  (list-of-values (operands exp) env)))  (else  (error "Common Lisp or Netscape Navigator 4.0+ Required" exp))))</SCRIPT> 

Geocities.. pfft. I won't miss it one bit.

Excerpt from:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/10/geocities-closing.html

Yahoo paid about $3 billion in 1999 for a company that seemed poised to continue its domination of the user-driven Net. Failing to turn any significant profit from all of those pop-ups and banner ads (in fact, there's questions about whether GeoCities was ever cash-flow positive), the purchase -- or perhaps Yahoo's inaction once GeoCities was acquired -- turned out to be one of the company's most costly mistakes.

Ah, money well spent. Well, that's one small sliver of 'internet cancer' eradicated.  :birthday:

I remember the days when you would go onto Google or Yahoo and search something and lots of the geocities sites would be up, or just those "Homemade" pages someone put their heart into and made, maby their were knowledgeable on the subject.  Today, there  gone, instead now when I search. I get pages with nice templates but with more often then not, crappy content squieezed in around an Advertising block like Adsense, they call em Adsense spam sites. :smoker:

Geocities sites are probably the reason my school is so paranoid and only allows .edu or .gov on research papers.  (Kidding... sort of.)

As gizmola said, I had no idea that geocities was even still running....

Also, this morning, when I checked xkcd (I check it every morning that there's a new one lol), I saw the page and still half asleep I was just like "wtf?"

I remember Geocities... kinda of. Was I too young for that stuff? I only got on the internet in '04 (Around '04 and '05. At that time I was only allowed Kiddymail or something similar. And Neopets. Sometimes. And any other sites had to be authorized by my dad. I remember I got into tonnes of trouble when I signed up for a Hotmail without asking). I remember that it was full of pages I didn't care about, that were poorly done, unmaintained and had no useful content

Ahhh, good old Neopets.  lol.

I think geocities was big from like 95 (maybe that's too early?) until like 2000.  Based on your accessing "Kiddymail" (which sounds oddly like a pedophile ring) and Neopets in 2004, I would guess that I'm not much older than you, so I don't really remember Geocities much either.  Well, I don't remember its hayday.  I definitely remember the horrible sites that lingered after forever.

Yeah, but if we remembered the full effects, we'd have lived through the era before the internet was real. It'd be like having Freeweb pages. But all over the place. I mean, did they even have a decent mainstream serverside language?

I'm glad I'm this young

I still have my personal page which started somewhere around 1997 and is hosted on our local 'geocitieslike' provider (which surprisingly manages to stay above the surface for the time being).

It isn't as joyful to watch as xkcd layout, but still... it has lots of funny things :D And yeah! I had midi music in background! The player was opening in pop-under so that the music would play continuously when navigating through my site (and also after leaving it).

Oh my!  I still have 15 visits per month on average! :D

Also, this morning, when I checked xkcd (I check it every morning that there's a new one lol),

You only have to check Monday, Wednesday and Friday because that's when the new ones are released.

Yeah....  I know.  Yesterday morning was Monday ;p.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.