How to create a dropdown menu with items from a DB

techiefreak05

How would i do this? I have a message system on my site, and the user has to manually enter the username o send the message to, what if they spell it wrong? then it would just take up space on my DB, so instead of a text box, id like a dropdown menu that has all the usernames on my site.

I made this: but it dont work, it displays "Username does not exist" always, and it sends the message anyway

[code]<?php
if($_POST['sendMess']){
$to = $_POST['to'];
$from = $_SESSION['username'];
$message = $_POST['message'];
$subject = $_POST['subject'];
$date = date("D M j G:i:s T Y");

function userExists($username){
  global $conn;
  $q = "select username from users";
  $result = mysql_query($q,$conn);
  return (mysql_numrows($result) > 0);
}

if(userExists($_POST['to'])){
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `messages` ( `from` , `to` , `message` , `date` , `status` , `subject`)
VALUES ('$from', '$to', '$message', '$date', 'no', '$subject');") or die("There was an error sending your message");
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `outbox` ( `from` , `to` , `message` , `date` , `status` , `subject`)
VALUES ('$from', '$to', '$message', '$date', 'no', '$subject');") or die(mysql_error());
echo "<font color=red>Your Message has been sent!</font>";
}
  }else{
echo "That username does not exist";
}
?>
<form action="" method="post">
      <table align="center" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3">
<tr><td ><font color=black>To:</font></td><td><input type="text" name="to" size="35"></td></tr>
<tr><td ><font color=black>Subject</font></td><td><input type="text" name="subject" size="35"></td></tr>
<tr><td ><font color=black>Message:</font></td><td><textarea name="message" rows="10" cols="55"></textarea></td></tr>
<tr><td colspan="2" align="right"><input type="submit" name="sendMess" value="-Send Message-"></td></tr>
</table>
</form>
[/code]

Try this for the userExists function...

[code=php:0]function userExists($to){
  global $conn;
  $q = "select username from users where name = $to";
  $result = mysql_query($q,$conn);
  return (mysql_numrows($result) > 0);
}[/code]

I dunno how your database is set up, so I don't know if it's "where name = $to" or "where username = $to" or whatever..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.