I tried searching but...

HasmanNNC

... I couldn't find anything to properly answer my question. I read the PHP Faq, and the link for the rest of Dynamic URLs was dead. Its a stupid question, I know, but I really need help, so please dont just hit back :P

Anyways, I wanted to display my content as: http://www.domain.com/index.php?page=whatever.htm

Before I had bought a host, I was using hostultra and the following script worked:

<?php include ("$page"); ?>

I would type that where I wanted the external page to display, and it would display there automatically. This way, I could create a page with only text and it would display on the index.php file providing I typed the correct URL. However, I recently bought a server from GoDaddy and I transfered my website over, but the include didn't work. Instead, I was forced to create a seperate PHP file for every page and include a header.php and menu.php. I realised that if ever I want to change layouts, I'll have to change every single page. I'm wondering how I can fix this problem, and whether or not its a matter of editing php.ini or not. I know this is a dumb question, but the dumber, the easier to answer right? Please help me. If

Put this on your index page where you want the content to be displayed (generally somewhere under your header and above your footer):

[code]
$pathToMainPage = "index.php";
$pathTo404Page = "404.php";
if(isset($_GET['page']))
{
$pathToIncludePage = $_GET['page'].=".html";
if(file_exists($pathToIncludePage))
{
include $pathToIncludePage;
}
else
{
include $pathTo404Page;
}
}
else
{
include $pathToMainPage;
}
[/code]
You will need to change the paths to your main page and 404 page. With that you should be able to access a page via: http://www.domain.com/index.php?page=whatever
Note: you do not need to include the .html

Leave the $pathToIncludePage as is. The only time you would change anything within it would be if you wanted to include a different extension (say .php instead of .html) or want to change the (page?=) to something like (id?=). Then for the 404.php, just use 404.php or whatever your error page is. On the $pathToMainPage = "index.php"; you can include your news or what have you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.