Windows 7 quick review

Brian W

Today I set up a machine with Windows 7 Ultimate. After finding that many of the major configuration managers (such as "Turn Windows features on or off") were a little harder to find, I got IIS7 up and rolling. A quick Google search for "php iis7" lead me to the very first result which was the IIS website. A nifty tool that some may have been familiar with already was featured on the page called "Microsoft Web Platform Installer". I downloaded, curious if it would actually save me time, and was pleased to find that it worked as it said it would. MySql is not listed under the DB section, but overall Windows 7 itself had held our so far for the instillation of PHP and even ran a "Hello World" test without restarting the service manually.

As for non PHP related Windows 7 review, I'm not sure if I like some of the Mac OS like features the GUI has picked up. The task bar is interesting but feels more like Mac OS that the classic Windows structure. Con if you ask me, I'd have a Mac if I wanted one...

Due to the fact my apartment is old, I don't have a wired network set up besides in the living room so I had the system plugged in for installation but planned on moving to WiFi. I discovered that my Linksys Wireless G adapter didn't have Windows 7 x64 support, my Airlink adapter did though. At some point during setting up IIS+PHP+MySql my wifi driver got corrupted or something and I had to reinstall it.

I've had Windows Explore stop responding more often then I ever had XP or Vista, but I didn't use either of those heavily within the first month of there release. If they can get some of those problems resolved I will be happier with the product.

3/5 for OS currently, 5/5 if they can get the bugs fixed soon and get compatibility with more devices.

Hey Corbin,

I'm not sure yet whats up with it getting locked up yet, but the UI improvements make up for the occasional headache which has decreased in occurrence... probably because I'm not installing programs and configuring things anymore.

• 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.