Salathe

salathe

I only introduced myself yesteday in the mammoth introductions thread so will just reiterate what was said in there for my new introduction thread.

Well, I'll keep it brief. Here are the usual details: I'm a 25 year old from Lancashire, England and mainly joined this place to be part of a more mature community (both in terms of the people and the site itself).  Academically, I have an MA in Archaeology from Edinburgh University (usually spend a couple of months every summer out in the field) and maybe some day I'll move over to that side of the fence for my career. As it stands now, I'm a PHP developer (currently unemployed) and am really pushing on with that as it is something that I love (and appear to be competent at). 

I'm also a contributor to the PHP documentation (:rtfm:), trying to give something back to a resource that has been really useful to me over the years.  I enjoy reading (historical novels seem to be a current trend) and like to relax in front of a movie, when I'm not lurking in the regex forum—an area where lots of people seem to struggle and I can help out a little bit (it's difficult to find threads which haven't already been answered in the other forums!).

Any questions, thoughts or indeed greetings are more than welcome.  :shy:

Just as a matter of interest, what sort of historical novels do you read? I'm currently about 3/4 of the way through the Hornblower (C. S. Forester) series of books and about the same with the Sharpe (Bernard Cornwall) books.

Currently I'm getting through the "Emperor" series of books by Conn Iggulden and am generally interested in medieval or earlier subjects (including the "timeshift" style of writing) with at least some basis in fact.  That said, I'll read anything once!

I guess that makes sense with the archealogical nature of your studies. You mention that you are a PHP developer that is currently unemployed. I take it that since you class yourself as a developer you've have been employed as  PHP developer in the past? I'd be quite interested in getting into a development style job, whether it be PHP or Desktop based (C#, VB, Java etc) but I'm just not sure where to start, every job I see advertised seems to require at least 2 years previous experience.

cags, if you look for "junior" rules then they're usually much more open to people fresh out of university or coming in from elsewhere with little to no commercial experience. Don't expect to jump into a senior role right away even if you know your stuff really well.

SemiApocalyptic, thanks. Hello. :)

Yer, a "junior" role would be fine by me, the problem is there just don't seem to be any advertised around here. I have a degree in Computing Science and roughly 9 months commercial development experience in C# (placement 'year' for honours degree). But when I finished university about 4 years ago I couldn't find a development position. Been working as a salesman untill recently.

nadeemshafi9, PHP is (as you know) open source so anyone is welcome to contribute patches to amend, fix or otherwise change existing features or add new ones. Sign up to one or more of the mailing lists (e.g. 'internals' for PHP itself or 'phpdoc' for the documentation) to get a feel for the discussions.

Yer, a "junior" role would be fine by me, the problem is there just don't seem to be any advertised around here. I have a degree in Computing Science and roughly 9 months commercial development experience in C# (placement 'year' for honours degree). But when I finished university about 4 years ago I couldn't find a development position. Been working as a salesman untill recently.

i always wanted to learn MS c# professionaly because i was scared that php was free and all, but now there is alot of php work everyonere, i get about 10 calls a day i live near london home counties.

i always wanted to learn MS c# professionaly because i was scared that php was free and all, but now there is alot of php work everyonere, i get about 10 calls a day i live near london home counties.

telemarketers don't count.

ofcourse they count i always go to about 7 or 8 interviews before i get my job and this is my 3rd job in 3 years and these guys want a long term thing extreemly rich company

Since we've already met (online across multiple sites), it probably sounds like a moot point to officially welcome you, but in any case; welcome to PHP Freaks :) You'll fit in nicely.

What keeps me coming back here is the people. I feel we have a good community here. The staff members are knowledgeable, and I really enjoy popping into threads, only to read a solution or follow an informational link and walk away learning something new (lot's of room for that). So your contributions will certainly be most welcome (one more brain to pick).

Cheers

dude i'm talking about the people who call you up trying to sell you stuff.

nah im talking about recruitment agents that find the jobs on websites so you dont have to

Nadeem, I'm afraid you must follow English as English can not follow you well unless you somehow become dictator of all English speaking countries which is about the entire world...

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.