error: requested url too large

zoran

I have created a simple submit form for a  mysql database that puts  a piece of code into database.

But if I want to put a document of any decent length, eg. 500 characters (I guess), I get the error message, on submit.

I am using xampp as server to run php.

Is there a config file that needs to be modified to handle lager documents.

Microsoft Internet Explorer (Browser)

Microsoft states that the maximum length of a URL in Internet Explorer is 2,083 characters, with no more than 2,048 characters in the path portion of the URL. In my tests, attempts to use URLs longer than this produced a clear error message in Internet Explorer.

Firefox (Browser)

After 65,536 characters, the location bar no longer displays the URL in Windows Firefox 1.5.x. However, longer URLs will work. I stopped testing after 100,000 characters.

Safari (Browser)

At least 80,000 characters will work. I stopped testing after 80,000 characters.

Opera (Browser)

At least 190,000 characters will work. I stopped testing after 190,000 characters. Opera 9 for Windows continued to display a fully editable, copyable and pasteable URL in the location bar even at 190,000 characters.

Apache (Server)

My early attempts to measure the maximum URL length in web browsers bumped into a server URL length limit of approximately 4,000 characters, after which Apache produces a "413 Entity Too Large" error. I used the current up to date Apache build found in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The official Apache documentation only mentions an 8,192-byte limit on an individual field in a request.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.