if (!$file = fopen($fileLocation . $fileName, 'r')) {
      exit();
}

while (!feof($file)) {
      echo fread($file, $speed * 1024 * 8);
      flush();
      sleep(1);
}[/code]

when this script runs, a file dialogue box will appear with a 'save' and 'cancel' button.. I'm looking for a way to set a variable (say $status=TRUE) TRUE when somebody clicks on save button. And  when downlaods completes, the variable should set to FALSE.

I trying to implement this for the last two days... but always the variable will set to to TRUE before i click 'Save'..

Can anybody help me?

Many Thanks
-Hab-

Hmm now that i think about it... It probably is impossible... Since a webserver has no way of knowing if your web client is downloading anything... Hmm but wait... maybe it does know since its a constant connection...  Seems like it would almost take a packet sniffer lol... As far as I know its not a php function or anything... But I'm sure its possible...

while you can't possibly set a variabe within the same script from javascript, you can, however, use AJAX or set a cookie with javascript. but i haven't seen any javacript code to listen to file download dialogs, and if you output the javascript in this same script, it will be treated as the text content of the file... maybe use frames.

as far as i know, jsp might be able to sniff packets :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.