Senior PHP Developer Position Interview Questions

hadoob024

What real advantages would i recive by spending extra time on spellings on this forum, the message gets accross and i dont waste any more time than is necessary, but im productive and have contributed lol.

<continuing the offtopic trend>

Well that depends.  Sometimes your message does not get across.

And sometimes you look silly.

I'm not even saying all spelling has to be 100% correct for it to be decent.  But in my opinion any body of text without proper grammar/capitalization looks juvenile.

But maybe that's not important to you, and if it's not then I guess oh well.

</offtopic>

Doing lots of things quickly with minimal effort gives you a greater return, just as with this interview that the topic is about, if you arrange many interviews for this type of job it will sort you out.

Nothing is set in stone, things change, the driver behind that change is us. You do a little bit of lots of things and you get the bigger picture. In order for you to do lots of things you must look past small snags and glitches wich you can come back to one you are established, nothing means anything we are just floating on a ball falling throgh space and the ball itself is dying. Yeh there may be a heaven or hell if you look at teh bigger picture, still dosent mean that they mean anything to anyone apart from us. Just like having many interviews wont mean anytjing to the individual interviewers but they will mean somthing to us.

doing more in a short space of tiem gives you a varied perspective, and to achive more you must make sacrifice. Sacrifices like knowing your first interview is going to be shit, knowing you cant be assed to attend an interview but you have arranged it, knowing the interviewer is talking crap but you stay and take it. These things let you know what the bigger picture or teh cloud of the thoght is that you need to engineer a scheme a plan that encompases a answer to most of these things and hey presto.

I often feel sorry forpeople who have had to leach upon one employer for over half a decade, but these situations most of us will get to, i have a almost cirtain 5 year contract now, but teh people i work with have been there 5 years and they have missed out on a varied set of technologies wich i have experienced and now i have experienced teh tech in the current place and was able to map it out quickly and add many enhancments to the organisation eg tools and and also gained much more experience.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but that's utter crap.

If you were my employee, if I heard you say "Doing lots of things quickly with minimal effort gives you a greater return" I would begin inspecting your work quite closely wondering if I should fire you or not.

If I draw a sketch, is it going to look better if I put 30 seconds into it, or 30 minutes?

"You do a little bit of lots of things and you get the bigger picture."

That should be amended to say:

"You do a little bit of lots of things and you get a vague view of the bigger picture."

Yes, a view of the bigger picture is valued in numerous ways, but that's like saying I could be good mechanic, or I could be a decent mechanic and a decent something else.  When it comes down to it, each person only has so much time in his/her life to learn things, and we can't all have a perfect knowledge of everything.

Blerh I feel guilty for contributing to the jacking of this thread, so on a more ontopic note:

a senior php developer would be an engineer rather then a coder, he would be the person who designs the architecture, gathers specifications and distrabutes them amongst team members

Eh, what exactly do you mean by engineer?  Do you mean an engineer by education, or an engineer by experience/skills in coding?  Either way I believe that statement is a bit off.  I would assume that a "Senior PHP Developer"'s duties would include designing the basic layout of the program, assigning parts to people and then coordinating it (which is basically what you said).  However, depending on how lightly staffed a company is, the Senior Dev might (and in most cases I would assume will) be expected to actually do some coding himself, along with some quality checks and basic bug-testing of code.

As for the interview, if I were the interviewer, I would ask both technical and abstract questions.  Since the jobs will all presumably relate to PHP, I would ask questions that signify that you have a good grasp of PHP as a language, but I would also ask questions that show that you're not just a mindless drone who knows the syntax.

As for what those questions would be, not really sure.

I often feel sorry forpeople who have had to leach upon one employer for over half a decade, but these situations most of us will get to, i have a almost cirtain 5 year contract now, but teh people i work with have been there 5 years and they have missed out on a varied set of technologies wich i have experienced and now i have experienced teh tech in the current place and was able to map it out quickly and add many enhancments to the organisation eg tools and and also gained much more experience.

Maybe they just found an awesome job and you found a crap job? Just saying... might be a possibility.

corbin,

i mean the lead developer the senior isn't really a coder in the sense he kinda needs to engineer on a larger scale wheres coders just engineer small portions and code them. A senior is expected engineer a masterpiece at first go and this will effect everyone. I mean an engineer by experience, you cant engineer things if you dont have experience, no matter how much education you have, you need to go look at the field.

In fact i recon drawing a sketch quickly is better than keeping on tampering with it.

Daniel, Maybe but im happy with the experience iv got now.

...and i dont waste any more time than is necessary, but im productive and have contributed lol

You do, unfortunately, waste everyone else's time owing to them having to spend twice as long deciphering your posts and, ultimately, ignoring what you've written because they can't read it anyway.

So if we consider the overall time spend on your posts, it would be much lower if you used a spell checker.

...and i dont waste any more time than is necessary, but im productive and have contributed lol

You do, unfortunately, waste everyone else's time owing to them having to spend twice as long deciphering your posts and, ultimately, ignoring what you've written because they can't read it anyway.

So if we consider the overall time spend on your posts, it would be much lower if you used a spell checker.

hmmmmm.....

Nadeem,

It depends on the company you're working for and how large it is. Sometimes a senior developer will be designing the architecture and coding it. Just like how in college you're told that the Software Engineer hands over the specifications for a project to the Programmers. In reality, it often doesn't work like that.

Nadeem,

It depends on the company you're working for and how large it is. Sometimes a senior developer will be designing the architecture and coding it. Just like how in college you're told that the Software Engineer hands over the specifications for a project to the Programmers. In reality, it often doesn't work like that.

i understand, but teh point im trying to make is that there is a difference between an engineer and a developer and these two roles are obviously related and one is a progression of the other, when they senior in a job spec im pretty sure they mean someone who can engineer and manage a team and architecture.Even i understand that these roles in smaller organizations are usually filled by one maybe 2 people. I have worked for 2 organization where me and the companies owners directly engineered the application architecture ourselves and the large the organization the more they can separate the roles. A senior developer also needs to integrate the team i mean an ~ENGINEER is an engineer in all aspects, he/she will engineer integration coperation design development of the hole team whereas a coder just produces to spec and learns as she/she goes.

• 9 months later...

Maybe they just found an awesome job and you found a crap job? Just saying... might be a possibility.

Hi,

I do not agreed with you. Any way, your ideal make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting.Tks and best regards

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.