[SOLVED] Header sizes

soycharliente

Each browser renders them at their own sizes, so there is no standard (same with everything else as well). Explicitly state them at the head of your CSS, or use a CSS reset sheet in order to put all browsers on an equal footing, and this will allow you to know exactly what the sizes are.

And back to the answer:

Each browser renders them at their own sizes, so there is no standard (same with everything else as well). Explicitly state them at the head of your CSS, or use a CSS reset sheet in order to put all browsers on an equal footing, and this will allow you to know exactly what the sizes are.

Or to say it another way add explicit definitions to your reset sheet.

I asked for a link, not some mumbo jumbo about about how browsers render in different sizes. Anyone that has done web development for more than a month could tell you that. Regardless of whether or not they "come in different sizes", someone somewhere has probably taken the time to figure out approximately how many pixels/picas/points/etc tall each size is. That's all I wanted. You didn't solve anything. And just because it's not the wrong answer doesn't mean it's a right answer.

You're just talking. And by looking at a lot of your old posts, you seem to do a lot of that. Just talking. Some vague and cryptic references with development buzz words, repeated answers after extended periods of time, and more abrasive tendencies and somewhat lack of social skills when trying to "help" people here. I'm surprised no one else has spoken up already.

Explicitly state them at the head of your CSS...

And what is "them"? The sizes?

...use a CSS reset sheet in order to put all browsers on an equal footing...

And what should I reset to? A certain size?

All your answers point to knowing how large they are. Yet you continue to try and beat around some bush. If you're trying to "nudge me in the right direction" you're doing a pretty horrible job.

Now I ended the thread because there is no help here. The answers given don't satisfy the question. And I asked the question so it's ultimately up to me to decide. If you would like to continue this discussion about "right" and "wrong" questions and answers, I suggest starting a private IM to me rather than the entire board.

Have a good day.

I asked for a link, not some mumbo jumbo about about how browsers render in different sizes.

Fair enough, though it wasn't mumbo jumbo, it's the way browsers work. If you had taken the time to ask for clarification on the answers, or to research the points I brought up, it would all be clear.

You're just talking. And by looking at a lot of your old posts, you seem to do a lot of that. Just talking. Some vague and cryptic references with development buzz words

Mate, feel free to ignore my posts if you don't like what I have to say. There is nothing making you read them. But, besides the fact that someone obviously thinks I have something good to say (Look at that yellow bar over by my name on the left), I get thank-yous in threads fairly regularly, and I get them in PMs too. As for the 'vague and cryptic references', often I give people the key words to be able to research the solutions on their own. That's how I learned, and generally when people gave me information like that, I learned a lot more because of it, since I was able to pick up a bunch of other information while I was looking into the problem at hand. The whole 'teach a man a fish' versus 'give a man a fish' thing.

I'm surprised no one else has spoken up already.

So you are the only one saying this. You don't suppose that means something do you? If you'd like, I can point at some threads and post some PMs where people have thanked me for my help. Seems to be a bit of a discrepancy between what you are seeing and what others are. And if you are the one who is different then everyone else, well that probably means something, doesn't it.

Explicitly state them at the head of your CSS...

Yes.

...use a CSS reset sheet in order to put all browsers on an equal footing...

And what should I reset to? A certain size?

All your answers point to knowing how large they are.

You don't need to know how large they are, rather you explicitly declare the individual header sizes to a specific size. For example:

h1{font-size:20px;}
h2{font-size:18px;}
h3{font-size:16px;}

and so on. In this manner each browser starts off on an equal footing, since they have site-defined sizes, rather than browser defined sizes which vary across browsers.

Yet you continue to try and beat around some bush. If you're trying to "nudge me in the right direction" you're doing a pretty horrible job.

Actually, in this case I wasn't trying to nudge you at all. As far as I was concerned, I had told you. I didn't realize you weren't understanding the explanation - you said you were using a reset sheet, so I assumed that you knew what that was, what it did, and what it meant. Now you could have asked me for clarification, but instead you have decided to go off on a rant towards me. You accuse me of "abrasive tendencies and somewhat lack of social skills", but I would say right back to you that ranting at someone who has tried to give you free help shows some particularly abrasive tendencies and a lack of social skills as well.

Now I ended the thread because there is no help here. The answers given don't satisfy the question.

As I said above, you just didn't understand the reply and then decided to go off on a rant rather than asking for clarification.

feel free to ignore my posts

I tried to. You wanted to continue.

If you had taken the time to research the points

Don't assume everyone doesn't use Google before coming here.

Look at that yellow bar over by my name

I personally could care less about your yellow bar. I'm extremely confident I can give better help than you. It means nothing. It only means you spend more time here than other people.

I can point at some threads and post some PMs where people have thanked me for my help

Red herring.

The whole 'teach a man a fish' versus 'give a man a fish' thing.

What I was asking for wasn't some concept to be learned. It was past, worked out examples of sample sizes. There is nothing to learn. It's just data. You aren't teaching anything.

Rhetorical to show that your answers pointed to specifically defining sizes, of which I was asking for.

You don't need to know how large they are, rather you explicitly declare the individual header sizes to a specific size.

To me that doesn't make sense at all. Of course you need to explicitly declare them. THAT WAS MY WHOLE POINT. WHAT TO TYPE. Just wanted a link to some examples of what people think are the preset sizes.

So you are the only one saying this.

From a take a step back point of view / forget about everything we've said so far, I think that's just because the knowledge base is different and we both are speaking from similar skill sets. You haven't said anything that I didn't already know.

and then decided to go off on a rant

I "went off on a rant" because I "didn't like your answer", tried to ignore it, and tried to close the thread, but you persisted in trying to assert your correctness.

You accuse me of "abrasive tendencies and somewhat lack of social skills"

Clearly just an opinion. Like what I say matters to you at all anyway. OR does it? You seem to want to continue this in public after I suggested private.

We could go round and round like this. I think you're not helping. I get from you that you think you are. I think you're a little rude. I get from you that you think I am. I think I tired to end this. I get from you that you want to defend your public image. It's all conjecture and opinion.

I am again going to suggest sending a PM for future talks.

Cheers.

I am again going to suggest sending a PM for future talks.

Suggest away. I'm going to suggest continuing here.

I tried to. You wanted to continue.

You obviously aren't trying to ignore me very hard, seeing as you aren't ignoring me!

To me that doesn't make sense at all. Of course you need to explicitly declare them. THAT WAS MY WHOLE POINT. WHAT TO TYPE. Just wanted a link to some examples of what people think are the preset sizes.

Great. Hopefully someone can come along and give them to you. But, whatever they are, it's irrelevant, as they are not the same across browsers.

Now maybe you knew that info already. Many other people don't, as these types of questions are asked often. I gave a solution which you didn't need. So ignore it. Or be polite and say thank you, but that you are still looking for a link.

Either way, you asked for help, and when I gave it, you didn't like the answer. But rather than a 'thank you, I already knew that, it's not what I'm looking for' you gave abrupt answers that didn't indicate at all that you had understood what was said.

Again, if you don't like the help, you are free to ignore it. You keep trying to say you " tried to ignore it, and tried to close the thread, but you persisted in trying to assert your correctness." But you keep replying, so your words belie your actions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.