im back for more. go easy(be honest)

Dorky

Not great I'm afraid. There were a couple of scrollbars at the top of the page which disappeared underneath the menu bar. The rest of the page was blank, apart from the background and the footer information (sign in link + contact details). 

I viewed the page in IE7, screen resolution 1024 x 768.

Dorky, the texture at the top isn't seamless. It is kind of distracting because I can tell where the image ends and begins.

I like the overall feel of the black colored parts, however I would shrink the buttons, especially the 'Sign In' button.

The logo is very plain, perhaps you could keep it simple but add some depth to the image. Maybe play around with some reflections, or gradients.

Dorky, the texture at the top isn't seamless. It is kind of distracting because I can tell where the image ends and begins.

I like the overall feel of the black colored parts, however I would shrink the buttons, especially the 'Sign In' button.

The logo is very plain, perhaps you could keep it simple but add some depth to the image. Maybe play around with some reflections, or gradients.

yeah i was going for a wood tile effect and for the nameplate, im still working on my graphics skills by far. thx for the feedback very much.

No problem. Also a nice touch, would be if they don't already have a logo, design something simple for them. Clients like to see you take a shot at making their company unique. But don't just throw any logo at them, I would take a legitimate shot at it only. Use the critique forum for suggestions with that also. My best advice if you are using Photoshop is to experiment by mixing a few different tutorials around to get what you want. Sometimes its hard to pick it up off the bat without training, but there are so many fine tutorials on the web its almost impossible to not learn anything.

Geez, another loading screen... remember you've got 5 seconds to not offend me (aka for me to stay on your site) and you have immediately annoyed me for 6 seconds whilst I watch a loading screen.

And when I do get to your website, well the design isn't that great:

- your logo isn't very appealing

- the general design needs reworking

- you have content text which is bigger than your navigation

- your content style isn't very consistent

And...

- you're using embedded css

- you're using frames

Oh, and there are loading screens on each of the pages... even if they have been cached :'(

Edit: Also, don't assume that because Facebook exists that you have to integrate it with all of your sites, it doesn't always suite it well.

Just my constructive 2c, I will be happy to answer further Qs

ILMV :)

i agree about the header. i changed it this morning. the content cannot be consistent because there was only a few  tools that wer requested. the theme is consistent and thats whats important, nobody makes a site with the same content on every page except e-books and search engines. youtube, hulu...ect the list goes on for major brands using "iframes" not frames. but hey what do they know. facebook is popular among businesses the way myspace is for artist and musicians. and last but not least the loading screen looks a lot better then the clunkyness of page load.

the content cannot be consistent because there was only a few  tools that wer requested

I never said anything about the content being consistent? I said the content style, the font face and size were different on two different pages. You should change the style so it is consitent throughout the website.

the theme is consistent and thats whats important

No it isn't? You had one font face / size on one page, and another in a different page.

nobody makes a site with the same content on every page except e-books and search engines.

Quite true, what's your point?

youtube, hulu...ect the list goes on for major brands using "iframes" not frames. but hey what do they know

Put it this way, iframes can use used for AJAX, in fact they are very good at it, but there should be no reason to use iframes the way you have.

facebook is popular among businesses the way myspace is for artist and musicians.

Facebook may be popular among businesses because it is free and there are shed loads of people using it, however you have to ask whether it is going to serve a purpose on your site?

and last but not least the loading screen looks a lot better then the clunkyness of page load.

I couldn't disagree more, if your page takes ages to load thats your problem, do not punish the user because your site isn't optimised. Users expect a page to take a little while to load the first time, but after that browser caching does most of the work (if you had your CSS in a dedicated file that is).

Your loading screen is such a massive usability issue, take a look at any corporate website (excluding those flash ones), none of them have page loading, and neither should you.

Why have you taken the site down? Was trying to look back to justify some of my points but I can't.

You need to remember that you posted a link in a web critique forum without any instructions, so expect me to give my personal opinion and if I choose not to "fix" your problems I won't.

i didnt take it down, i put it on it domain name. javascript is clunky and slow, also is not lynx browser compatible such as google requires for indexing and seeing that the listings they have getting indexed on google is good for SEO as well as inbound links(Facebook) it would be a bad call to hide what they are selling behind something that has 0 chance of getting indexed. and bad markup isnt the only reason a site loads slowly. im sure you noticed i use a lot of small images to makeup the site. that makes it pretty data heavy so to assume i have bad markup or imply it without posting an example of what i could have done better is a bad call on you part.

Dorky: The text 'Click on the images under each listing to see a full size preview of the thumbnail.' is cut off for me at the bottom. I am on FF3 running on Slackware. Zooming in and out of the page makes it worse.

Im still opposed to the full width Sign In button you've got going there. Also, maybe you should at least move it to the top. I have to currently scroll down to even see it.

Better job on the logo, and I like how the wood panels look now. I think the old logo was throwing it off.

Dorky: The text 'Click on the images under each listing to see a full size preview of the thumbnail.' is cut off for me at the bottom. I am on FF3 running on Slackware. Zooming in and out of the page makes it worse.

Im still opposed to the full width Sign In button you've got going there. Also, maybe you should at least move it to the top. I have to currently scroll down to even see it.

Better job on the logo, and I like how the wood panels look now. I think the old logo was throwing it off.

thx. i have yet to get to a windows machine but im running ff3 but on ubuntu. ill look for the cutoff as soon as i get to a windows machine. the sign in is at the bottom because its only for the employees. the full width is because his dad is 80 and i want him to be able to see it.

thanks. i have yet to get to a windows machine but im running ff3 but on ubuntu. ill look for the cutoff as soon as i get to a windows machine. the sign in is at the bottom because its only for the employees. the full width is because his dad is 80 and i want him to be able to see it.

Instead of full width, why dont you use a brighter color, or a more square button. If your goal was to have it very visible, then I think you did the opposite. Why dont you just put an additional link for logging in in the nav bar? Its not like the location of the sign in button will keep a client from checking it out, I just meant it was annoying to scroll down to get to it. Its already in public view, so just put it in the nav bar.

why would i put on display a feature designed for the employees. you said yourself you had to scroll down to find it and thats exactly why its down there lmao. but for his dad who needs to use it, i think i did a good job of making it easy to find for those that know the sign in is at the bottom. thx tho.

why would i put on display a feature designed for the employees. you said yourself you had to scroll down to find it and thats exactly why its down there lmao. but for his dad who needs to use it, i think i did a good job of making it easy to find for those that know the sign in is at the bottom. thanks tho.

Dorky, that is a completely false sense of security. If I zoom out, I no longer have to scroll you know. I was just saying that it was annoying to scroll, because normally you want your login link to be at the top for easy access. You aren't fooling anyone by putting it at the bottom if you think only employees will know where it is. Another note, I got annoyed by it and I'm 22. An 80 year old man doesn't need the fuss of scrolling down either. No matter what you are going to do what you want to do, but you are going against your own reasoning for why it was built.

why would i put on display a feature designed for the employees. you said yourself you had to scroll down to find it and thats exactly why its down there lmao. but for his dad who needs to use it, i think i did a good job of making it easy to find for those that know the sign in is at the bottom. thanks tho.

haha danialson i disagree. its for the employees. so to the commons visitor it is unusable clutter.

Dorky, that is a completely false sense of security. If I zoom out, I no longer have to scroll you know. I was just saying that it was annoying to scroll, because normally you want your login link to be at the top for easy access. You aren't fooling anyone by putting it at the bottom if you think only employees will know where it is. Another note, I got annoyed by it and I'm 22. An 80 year old man doesn't need the fuss of scrolling down either. No matter what you are going to do what you want to do, but you are going against your own reasoning for why it was built.

jand bad markup isnt the only reason a site loads slowly. im sure you noticed i use a lot of small images to makeup the site. that makes it pretty data heavy so to assume i have bad markup or imply it without posting an example of what i could have done better is a bad call on you part.

Once again Dork I never said anything about your markup not being optimised, I said your "site" wasn't optimised.

So, as you requested, here are a load of links and resources to help you optimise your site, this means your images, css, html... the lot.

Optimisation Tutorial:

http://www.webmonkey.com/tutorial/Site_Optimization_Tutorial

General Optimisation Checker:

http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/ <-- Very good

HTML Compression (Can be used for CSS, JS too):

http://www.whatsmyip.org/http_compression/phpgzip/

http://www.samaxes.com/2008/04/htaccess-gzip-and-cache-your-site-for-faster-loading-and-bandwidth-saving/ <--- Great article

Image optimisation:

http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/smushit/

Right, there should now be no reason for any loading screens ;)