im back for more. go easy(be honest)

Dorky

While researching performance at Yahoo!, we discovered that moving stylesheets to the document HEAD makes pages appear to be loading faster. This is because putting stylesheets in the HEAD allows the page to render progressively.

There are known issues with browsers and proxies that may cause a mismatch in what the browser expects and what it receives with regard to compressed content. Fortunately, these edge cases are dwindling as the use of older browsers drops off. The Apache modules help out by adding appropriate Vary response headers automatically.

http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html

i was looking for suggestions. i know the difference between that and brow beating can be slim but you are brow beating just so you know. the problem with knowing everything you never have a reason to listen to anyone else. thats a one way conversation. that also makes it a lecture and not a conversation. just saying......

The website is very bland. Boring. There is not one picture. I don't count the logo or the gradients behind the links. I hate the scrollbar on the right side. This is really annoying for users, and should be avoided at all times. The HUGE sign in button wasn't anymore appealing. I recommend moving it to the top or making it slower.

Now, off to my favorite part.

• Why are you declaring a bgcolor in the body tag through html?

• Images do not have alt attribute

• Main navigation links should have a title attribute
  • Why are you using iframes???? There seems to be no particular reason.
  • Where's the <h1> tag? <h2>? Oh and the "invisible div for loading" doesn't count as a good for <h2> since it's invisible.

• Do not use <br /> to create whitespace. That's basic semantic tip.

Reading through a previous message you made on a thread earlier and your general responses in this thread warn me that you do not take feedback constructively. What I or anyone say in this website critique forum is for your benefit. Take our advice with a grain of salt. Evaluate our suggestions and if you think they are worthwhile, change your website. Otherwise, move on with your life and don't yell at me for trying to provide feedback for FREE.

The website is very bland. Boring. There is not one picture. I don't count the logo or the gradients behind the links. I hate the scrollbar on the right side. This is really annoying for users, and should be avoided at all times. The HUGE sign in button wasn't anymore appealing. I recommend moving it to the top or making it slower.

Now, off to my favorite part.

• Why are you declaring a bgcolor in the body tag through html?

• Images do not have alt attribute

• Main navigation links should have a title attribute
  • Why are you using iframes???? There seems to be no particular reason.
  • Where's the <h1> tag? <h2>? Oh and the "invisible div for loading" doesn't count as a good for <h2> since it's invisible.

• Do not use <br /> to create whitespace. That's basic semantic tip.

Reading through a previous message you made on a thread earlier and your general responses in this thread warn me that you do not take feedback constructively. What I or anyone say in this website critique forum is for your benefit. Take our advice with a grain of salt. Evaluate our suggestions and if you think they are worthwhile, change your website. Otherwise, move on with your life and don't yell at me for trying to provide feedback for FREE.

this little typo says all i need to know about the value of you eagerness to spill it all.

I recommend moving it to the top or making it slower.
look man i dont listen to jokers like you who come on threads regurgitating what has already been said and speaking to me as if you community collage education is anything. not one of your statements here or on any thread has been helpful or anything other then offensive. your name says a lot too. your a cyber bully. get a grip.

Why come here asking for critique when you know you are going to ignore it. Take the advice people give you, learn from it and improve your knowledge of the subject. If you ever want to make money designing websites you are going to need to improve your skill set, by asking for advice and then ignoring solid responses is just daft and will get you nowhere.

I don't claim to no everything about CSS/HTML but I know an awful lot, I still learn something new every week and every site I design improves on the last.

The web is constantly evolving don't get stuck in the past, we all make mistakes, thats how we learn. Don't take offense by peoples comments, they are only trying to help.

Why come here asking for critique when you know you are going to ignore it. Take the advice people give you, learn from it and improve your knowledge of the subject. If you ever want to make money designing websites you are going to need to improve your skill set, by asking for advice and then ignoring solid responses is just daft and will get you nowhere.

I don't claim to no everything about CSS/HTML but I know an awful lot, I still learn something new every week and every site I design improves on the last.

The web is constantly evolving don't get stuck in the past, we all make mistakes, thats how we learn. Don't take offense by peoples comments, they are only trying to help.

I second. You've come here asking for a critique (critical review) of your website. You don't seem to understand it's a case of being cruel to be kind.

Edit: I have to agree about the loading screen. Besides being a pointless feature it also prevents navigating to another page (e.g. the login link) before the page has completely loaded. How often do you load up a page and click the login link before it's even finished loading?

I second. You've come here asking for a critique (critical review) of your website. You don't seem to understand it's a case of being cruel to be kind.

Edit: I have to agree about the loading screen. Besides being a pointless feature it also prevents navigating to another page (e.g. the login link) before the page has completely loaded. How often do you load up a page and click the login link before it's even finished loading?

true i didnt change the loading screen. i have posted on other forums that got a positive response to it. its a matter of opinion. and whats more important is the site owners like it, im sorry but your opinion doesnt have more weight then the client.

no, there is no reason to be cruel  or pushy. this section is for posting opinions and suggestions. not repeating yourselves until you prove your awesomeness. there is nothing constructive about being pushy or posting as if your word is web lore. suggest, give your dislikes and likes. but do it in the context of consideration. and if they dont listen, well thats their choice. accept it.

look man i dont listen to jokers like you who come on threads regurgitating what has already been said and speaking to me as if you community collage education is anything...

Woah man. I'm in high school but that statement is entirely uncalled for. I hope no one helps you with that type of attitude. The whole point of critique is for you consider my advice with a grain of salt. If you don't like it, don't use it. There is no reason to be immature and make comments like that. I never personally offended you. Everything was unbiased and rightly noted within the context.

...and whats more important is the site owners like it, im sorry but your opinion doesnt have more weight then the client.

Oh my god, I cannot believe you just said that! Listen to what I say, your client has come to you because they believe that you will be able to design and developer a website better than they will, perhaps they don't even know where to start. So in this instance your client has absolutely no ground on which to dictate to you what should or shouldn't be on their website, besides content.

I very much doubt an established web professional would agree that a loading screen is a good idea, and what's more is that your ignore our comments (and yes, I am a web developer by trade) because you want to keep the client happy. You need to stand up to them and say "actually whilst you may like a loading screen it does in fact pose as a usability issue".

What I think has happened is that you have come across this loading script, shown your client, they know nothing better so are force (as human nature dictates) to say "yes I like that".

I'm going to say exactly what I think now, if you carry on using this mentality with regard to critical evaluation towards your website design / development skills you will fail, you will make no money... grow up ffs.

Dorky, why exactly do you act so offensively against other people's suggestions? When you ask for people's opinions, don't get offended if they think it sucks. Hell, your topic title says "be honest" so why do you get so upset about people's honest opinions? If you disagree with feedback you can just ignore it. It's not like anyone is forcing you to make any changes.

It seems to me that you have zipped through web semantics 101. I don't want to come off arrogant

this im sure you have seen, its yours from another thread. how was this constructive?

I just read this. What the hell is your problem to quote me from another thread? You took the whole quote out of context. If you read the entire message, you would have seen that this it was constructive and entirely within context.

I hope that no one else helps you on this forum.

It seems to me that you have zipped through web semantics 101. I don't want to come off arrogant

this im sure you have seen, its yours from another thread. how was this constructive?

omg, really............really? in what context is it ok to tell someone something like that. and dude i dont need anyone who talks like that to do anything.

I just read this. What the hell is your problem to quote me from another thread? You took the whole quote out of context. If you read the entire message, you would have seen that this it was constructive and entirely within context.

I hope that no one else helps you on this forum.

Dorky, I just have one thing to say.

When I started out doing website designs (just for practice though), I thought it was the best website design ever, even though it was just a few boxes on a page. I then asked people for some critique towards my work. But here's the kicker, instead of ignoring everything that they said...I had taken in what they had said. This helped me to reach the level of creating a professional looking website design. If you just ignore everything that everyone is saying to actually help you, then you are just going to be on the same level of learning. I mean, hey, everyone has started out with a shocking website design when they first started to do website design, it's just that some people learn to take critique and learn from it to help boost their website design and programming skills.

I am saying this because if you are on the same level as you are now in a few years time (which is quite likely, as you do not accept critique well), then your client may actually borwse the internet and find the website of another website designer, take a look at their portfolio and see that it is to more a professional standard than yours, then they may cancel their work with you...leaving you with wasted time, which you could have used to develop your skills.

Now, here is my critique for the new design you have done...

- Typography. Shocking. You have onyl used one font throughout your whole design. A good professional website design has at least two or three fonts used within the design.

- Spacing. I see that there is loads of inconsistent spacing within the design. Inconsistent spacing can lead to users not being able to find content easily enough...which could lead to users leaving the website altogether. The spacing at the bottom of the footer depends on which page you are on at that moment, the home page seems to have a larger gap in between the footer text whereas the other pages have little space there.

- Alignment. Your navigation stretches across all of the page, you main content is in the middle, and your footer is also in the middle but it is wider than the main content of your page. Alignment issues like this make a website look tacky and unprofessional.

General things...

- Loading screen. From a users point of view, I find that loading screen in between browsing pages on the website annoying. It would be alot better and also alot quicker if you removed this. From a developers point of view...it has no real use whatsoever apart from making people wait even longer to view pages on your website.

- Sign in button. Why have you made it span across the whole of the page? Also why have you put it at the bottom of the page, rather than the top? Another things...if users have to sign in to the website, this sometimes means (but not always) that they have to sign up to the website...if they do for this website...why isn't it displayed? the sign in button would be better off at the top where users can almost instantly see it if they need to sign in.

- Little black dots. Why are there little black dots behind all of the main content in the website design...it doesn't really have a use...apart from maybe the developer side of it, which is really doesn't have a use also.

- Facebook. I have noticed in your navigation that a facebook image is a link at the left hand side of your navigation...why is it in the navigation of the website? It would be better off if you put something within the main content of the website, saying that you can find them on facebook.

It was this quote from the website that also caught my attention...

Welcome to the launch of www.howtonrealty.com. Howton Realty has been servicing south okaloosa and surrounding areas for over 36 years. A rich heritage of excellent customer relations and knowledge of the areas history make Howton Realty a top choice for home buyers and sellers.

Surely if the company has been around for 36 years, then company derve a website that is professional?

I hope you actually take my advice as well as other members points, so that it can help you create more professional website designs...which can create you more clients as they will see how good your work is, but if you stay at this level...you won't.

That is all.

have you ever heard someone say "its not what you said but how you said it." the web can be like being in a car. people tend to act in ways they wouldnt in person or face to face. and continuing to critique my personality based on my ability to agree with everything everyone says is a tad sociopathic.

have you ever heard someone say "its not what you said but how you said it." the web can be like being in a car. people tend to act in ways they wouldnt in person or face to face. and continuing to critique my personality based on my ability to agree with everything everyone says is a tad sociopathic.

No one is suggesting you agree with the suggestions other people have made.  What everyone is saying is that asking for criticism, then reacting in an overly defensive, overly negative manner when people aren't showering you with praise is unacceptable at best.  Your reaction to criticism is far more damning than any of the criticism itself.  Let me be crystal clear: you are on very thin ice at the moment.

Utilize some tact.  If everyone is mentioning the same problems they see in your design, then maybe instead of insulting their level of education, you can swallow your pride and work at making the design better.  Criticism - blunt and painful as some of it can be (and, to be completely honest, the criticism your designs have received in the last two threads have been as harsh and brutal as a warm cup of hot chocolate, a cozy fire, and a good woman's love on a cold day) - is part of the web development gig.  If you can't handle it, find a new career.

I did not continue to critique your personality at all. The only thing I commented on...not critiqued, was your attitude towards your work. I am not saying you have to agree with everyone, but in my view, from the last couple of topics you have opened, you are set about disagreeing with everyone.

One thing I may have to point out in your post I have quoted is...

Why did you decide to comment on the first two paragraphs of what I said...and not saying a word about my critique towards your design? With the critique I have done for your design, I have not only pointed out what is wrong within the design...but I have also explained what can happen if they go unchanged. So, I have been honest with the critique of your website design, and I have helped you understand why I pick out those points within the design...what more do you want? If you are going to react in the way that you have, towards people who have chosen to critique your design (bear in mind that it takes time out of their own life to do this for you), who are actually helping you for free...then why post?

Here is a little tip for you. When you creating a design, leave it for a day, go back to it...and then think 'What can I improve?'.

Can I ask what your thought of my critique of your website design? Seeing as you have not given me any feedback on that at all.

Good luck with you 'hopeful' website designs.