1. wireless in ubuntu; 2. new path in bashrc; 3. running java

johnyjj2

Hello!

I've got Ubuntu and I cannot use wireless network (even if it works in Windows). I've got Acer Aspire 5102. I tried to install this compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2 from the tutorial here http://www.downloadatoz.com/driver/articles/how-to-make-atheros-ar5007eg-wireless-cards-work-on-ubuntu-8-10.html (How to make Atheros AR5007EG Wireless cards work on Ubuntu 8.10 - Driver Download) but it didn't help.

The other thing (not about wireless network) was to follow this tutorial: http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/sphinx4/#download_and_install

I tried to add those lines at the beginning of file to /etc/bash.bashrc but gedit didn't allow me to make any changes to this file. Save wasn't available, only Save As:

# Added by me to enable Apache Ant

EXPORT PATH=$PATH:/home/mainacc/tutorial/apache-ant-1.7.1/bin

EXPORT ANT_HOME=/home/mainacc/tutorial/apache-ant-1.7.1

I also tried:

mainacc@mainacc-laptop:~/tutorial/sphinx4-1.0beta3-bin/sphinx4-1.0beta3/bin$ java -mx256m -jar bin/HelloWorld.jar

The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:

* gcj-4.4-jre-headless

* openjdk-6-jre-headless

* cacao

* gij-4.3

* jamvm

* kaffe

Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>

java: command not found

mainacc@mainacc-laptop:~/tutorial/sphinx4-1.0beta3-bin/sphinx4-1.0beta3/bin$ sudo apt-get install gcj-4.4-jre-headless

[sudo] password for mainacc:

Czytanie list pakietĂłw... Gotowe

Budowanie drzewa zaleĹĽnoĹ›ci     

Odczyt informacji o stanie... Gotowe

E: Nie udało się odnaleźć pakietu gcj-4.4-jre-headless

mainacc@mainacc-laptop:~/tutorial/sphinx4-1.0beta3-bin/sphinx4-1.0beta3/bin$

In other words I have file HelloWorld.jar and I try to open it with "java -mx256m -jar bin/HelloWorld.jar" (as explained in the tutorial) but it doesn't run it. So I did what it suggested me to do, i.e. "sudo apt-get install gcj-4.4-jre-headless" but it says "Packet gcj-4.4-jre-headless cannot be found".

Greetings!

I tried to add those lines at the beginning of file to /etc/bash.bashrc but gedit didn't allow me to make any changes to this file. Save wasn't available, only Save As:

# Added by me to enable Apache Ant

EXPORT PATH=$PATH:/home/mainacc/tutorial/apache-ant-1.7.1/bin

EXPORT ANT_HOME=/home/mainacc/tutorial/apache-ant-1.7.1

If you want to add to the system-wide bashrc file (i.e. the one in /etc/) you'll need root access so you'll have to use sudo:

sudo gedit /etc/bash.bashrc

But I dont think you should need to make changes to this -- just use the one located in your home directory. This will mean the changes that you make will only apply to that user:

gedit ~/.basrhc

As for your java problem -- do you have any network access? You're obviously not going to be able to download a package if you're wireless isn't working and you don't have a wired network...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.