I have a plan to reduce the "tl:dr" count!

PugJr

By having a 1 post in a row with a character limit (Lets say 1000), we can reduce the amounts of "tl:dr" people have for posts.

I mean honestly, what percent of people read an entire post that get to like the 3000 character limit? 20%? 30%? I usually read the first paragraph, if its interesting, I read the rest. If its rather boring, I skip it.

I'd be shocked  :o if this didn't reduce the "tl:dr". It probably will reduce the amount of intelligence in a post as well.

Also, this would not only reduce the "tl:dr" count but also reduce the amount of data phpfreaks has to send through bandwidth and data in their hard disks/RAM!

I don't see what's wrong with long posts. If that's what needs to be done to get the point across so be it; sure some people may not completely read long posts but that's their loss then. I can only see this having negative effects because as you mentioned, it would "reduce the amount of intelligence in a post".

I don't see what's wrong with long posts. If that's what needs to be done to get the point across so be it; sure some people may not completely read long posts but that's their loss then. I can only see this having negative effects because as you mentioned, it would "reduce the amount of intelligence in a post".

Well, everything has its costs. I guess we need to do a trade off on which is more valuable. We must asses the value of one over the other.

For it:

A huge reduction in "tl:dr"

Think about how much help we would be saving the server owners of PHPFreaks.com! We might be able to reduce bandwidth by like 0-20KB per page refresh!!!

It will help people minimize their posts. Maybe we could all speak in like bad speak. Like "Hello how r u doin?". It'll teach people compression in their posts! Some posts still could be summed from 3000 characters to 2000 characters as redundancy, proper English, and what not!

Not for it:

We might lose some information during the compression. Its like whats better, a .bmp or a .gif?

really? you're advocating censorship? really? your efforts to mute me are in vain.

Well, it was just a suggestion since a certain somebody said that the PHPFreaks server works alot.  :shrug:

(P.S., you aren't the only one this post is targeting.  ;) )

I really don't see your point. People shouldn't be forced to limit their posts, that's like limiting knowledge. No one is forcing you to read anything.

But they are forcing me to scroll down to avoid their post!!!  >:(

Sometimes people can make a post a screen long (1024), so now I have to put more effort into my scrolling finger, which can eat up to like an entire second! Bam! An entire second from our lives removed. But if we bring that to a larger scale, we aren't just saying myself, but could be one hundred! people! Or a thousand people!

It's called a page down/up button on your keyboard ;)

So thats what those two buttons did! I thought that whole key place was useless. Insert? Never used. Home? Nope. Delete? Delete what? Backspace is for the cool kids. End? Nope, don't even know what that does.

Still though, now I have to move my hand all the way over to my keyboard, hit that un-used button and then resume to my mouse.

change the setting on your wheel to scroll more at a time? Or better yet, whenever you see a tldr post, put the poster on ignore.

But only some of the time I want to avoid the persons post and doing it always will more or less make PHPFreaks be a board of lots of ignored people.

How do you ignore someone anyways?

I really don't see your point. People shouldn't be forced to limit their posts, that's like limiting knowledge. No one is forcing you to read anything.

Actually, you're limited by the size of a TEXT field in a MySQL database. That's 65534 bytes, I think.

How do you ignore someone anyways?

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=pmprefs

Actually, you're limited by the size of a TEXT field in a MySQL database. That's 65534 bytes, I think.

Of course you're gonna be limited by something.. but I was referring to small limits, like the 1000 character limit he was referring to.. Who's going to write a 65534 byte post?

Who's going to write a 65534 byte post?

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=22533

haha you know, there have actually been several posts I've made that I've gotten the "your message exceeds the character limit" message or however it says it.  And it wasn't because of random stuff c/p'd into it...

Hmm... it seems like it's actually restricted to 40000 chars. We could restrict it to 140 like Twitter :)

Who's going to write a 65534 byte post?

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=22533

haha you know, there have actually been several posts I've made that I've gotten the "your message exceeds the character limit" message or however it says it.  And it wasn't because of random stuff c/p'd into it...

Hmm... it seems like it's actually restricted to 40000 chars. We could restrict it to 140 like Twitter :)

Twitter? What's that? Are you making fun of turrets?

Hey! I'm taking a shit right now!

Cool, I'm having a hell of a time getting this suppository up my rectum.

Hell, that fart stunk!

All under 140 characters! Some of us really need to get out a little more!  ::)

Hell, that fart stunk!

i have a tough time telling if you're joking about twitter, but for the record, it's tourette's.

if you can get a suppository so far up that it's in your rectum, you've either got incredibly long fingers or an uncomfortable level of dedication to the task.

Hell, that fart stunk!

i have a tough time telling if you're joking about twitter, but for the record, it's tourette's.

if you can get a suppository so far up that it's in your rectum, you've either got incredibly long fingers or an uncomfortable level of dedication to the task.

Now where did I say finger??    :D 

The only "tldr" I come across in this forum is in the php help section where those noobs in php help,  post their css/html and all their code in one swoop without code tags.

There's definitely posts like that for sure. I can also point to this post as another example of tl;dr... sadly, I did read though.. all of it.  :suicide:

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.