Classic Urban Wear

stephenk

[url=http://www.classicurbanwear.net]http://www.classicurbanwear.net[/url]
I've almost completed Classic Urban Wear. It's finished apart from a bit of content here and there.
All pages except the location one are w3 valid, the google map seems to be throwing up the errors.
I made this site for a man I know in town who owns the shop and through a password protected control panel, he can add/delete brands, Collection pictures, events and modify the information box up top.
There is an RSS feed for the events.
The site is all css and divs and made in around 20 hours.

Can anyone give some guidance on how much $$ that site would be worth? I know this one will go cheap, but it's for future projects.

Thanks for any comments,
Stephen

You can solve the validation errors thrown by the Google map by substituting & with & in the Google code.  You might want to look at forcing the argument via:

http://www.w3.org/QA/2005/04/php-session

[code]<?php ini_set('arg_separator.output','&amp;'); ?>[/code]

As to price (or value), you really need to set that [b]before[/b] doing the work. Hopefully, you have a good relationship with your client and can get a reasonable payment; otherwise what are you going to do when he/she says "It's OK. How about fifty bucks?"  Or worse yet "I have a friend who could have done that in two hours for free".

AndyB:

Thanks for the tip regarding the google map. I validated it on another site I made, but couldn't remember how.
Regarding payment, I'm good friends with the shop owner, so that isn't a problem - he seems very happy with the site, the google map amazed him when he was able to switch to satelite mode and view a city he is visiting on Monday, not much mention of the control panel that took 60% of the time to make!

However I still don't know how much my design and PHP skills are worth. I will be getting around $450-500 for that site. Is that cheap/just right/or is the shop owner offering too much?

Regards,
Stephen

P.S. I didn't actually mention that I would like some critique for the site please!

Critique-wise: if the client is 'very happy' and 'amazed', then the site is perfection!  Who cares what other people think (more or less).

Code-wise: I would definitely change the nav bar to a CSS-styled unordered list - http://css.maxdesign.com.au should make that a very simple change for you if you're unfamiliar with the concept.

Price-wise: it's probably in the right range.  Recoup part of your 'lost profit' by making sure other stores in town know how good you are, i.e. leverage the portfolio.

Thanks for that. I am familiar with styling lists, however I dont really understand the advantage of it.
Currently I have a simple <div class='menu'><a>Link</a><a>Link2</a></div> etc, so im free to style as I like through css. Maybe you could explain?
I got the location page validated now, its strange that google doesnt produce the links with &amp;, thanks for the help.

Thats my 2nd fully accessible/tableless site I've made now, so hopefully I'll be able to get a few more jobs.

Regards,
Stephen

Since the nav bar is actually a list of links, it makes more sense semantically to have it coded as a list.  That's important if you want to site to be 'friendly' for vision-impaired users, i.e. speech reader users, and if you want to have it validate easily against the W3C WAI standards.  Other than that, there's no advantage except that you'll know you've improved the technical excellence of the site.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.