What is a good way to design categories in a database?

keldorn

I'm able to easily create categories, but I run into problems trying to think of ways to create sub-categories of a category in a sql database, how can this be done in the most efficient way?

This is how I would do with no sub categories.  Say you an article table, that holds say articles. ;)

Okay you have:

id+cat_id+content++++++++++++title

1+1------This is your first post+ Hello world

Then you have another table called categories, where you have this,

id+name

1+foo bar

Doing this you can easily after a mysql query take the cat_id, then say,

SELECT name FROM category_table WHERE id=1)

You will get Foo bar.

I belive this is called recurvsive naming, where the article table only holds the ID number of the category, which translates to name in category_table. But things to me, get more confusing when designing sub-categories. So what is the best way to design the tables using sub categories?  :P

• 2 weeks later...

The link didn't really help actually, I've spent the past 2 nights tyring to figure this out myself. (I love a problem).

So far I got this. Which works. I've added now a Depth to the table, Somehow I will use that to create a tree structure of  the whole parent node. haha I bet no one here can figure out this works? Its like almost like binary.  ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.