[SOLVED] Email Marketing

liamloveslearning

Hi Everybody,

Im in talks with a client over a project of their's and they require me to run an email marketing campaign when there website goes live, I've tried to browse the web for some tutorials but I cant find any. Im just wondering whats the process of this? are email newsletters constructed with tables? (Im sure I read somewhere not all email clients can understand CSS) are they coded in your editor then the code pasted into outlook express or whatever you use?

Sorry if this seems real amateur its just a whole new thing for me, thanks

Liam

So imagine a bricklayer builds a house, and the person hes built it for asks for a greenhouse too, I bet he'd take the job on and learn how to do it as opposed to outsource it? I am perfectly capable of building websites, Im not familiar with email clients however and how theyre rendered thats all, I take it your just a pretentious bully victim tho? I have no idea how your an admin when you dont offer help, I'll just presume my assumptions are correct tho!

So imagine a bricklayer builds a house, and the person hes built it for asks for a greenhouse too, I bet he'd take the job on and learn how to do it as opposed to outsource it?

I would bet against that (that is, assuming the client wants things done properly). I would be that the person wanting a greenhouse would seek out someone who is knowledgable in building greenhouses. I mean, while you're at it, why not get that bricklayer to check your car to see what that awful grinding sound is when you drive (and perhaps examine why your chest hurts when you breath).

There is a saying... "Jack of all trades, master of none". Getting people to expand beyond their expertise is risky business. There is a reason why people focus on particular areas of expertise. Sure, some people might be able to do multiple things (say javascripting as well as web gui design and such), but if I was interested in someone building somthing, and that something required more than one discipline, and I wanted this thing done right, I would seek out multiple people with knowledge / experience in those areas. If the one contractor claims to be able to do all that I require, I would want references / proof of this. Otherwise, get more knowledgable people on board.

Well, I can't speak for Dan, but while I'm not knowlegable with the info you seek, I think the point was that there are different areas of expertise which are better suited for people with experience in those areas. There's nothing wrong with learning.. but I do think there is a problem if you accept a job without knowing what you are doing. I wouldn't be too thrilled to learn that my flight is being delayed becuase the 'pilot' is frantically looking through the aircraft manual trying to figure out how to get the thing started.

You're getting all bent out of shape on accord that you are not being directed on how to go about a task that you're not familar with. Sorry if the responses so far have not been useful and may have offended you. But perhaps you can learn something from this; Don't accept tasks which you are not familiar with. Too many people out there are too earger to please clients, be it via lowballing more expensive / knowledgable and experienced professionals with dirt-cheap rates, and / or trying to do too much (which could including taking on stuff that is outside their field of experience). The latter is a recipe for disaster. Save yourself (and your client) possible hassles by knowing and admitting your limitations upfront. As far as I'm concerned, it boils down to common sense and honesty.

so instead of telling people they shouldnt do something, why not reply with a response that might help them learn? I cant believe you both wasted your time posting such bull

You fail to see the point. They are giving your responses that should help you to learn. Your just keeping your eyes closed. They're teaching you that you don't take a job from someone without knowing how to do it. Because if you do learn how to do it, your going to miss lots of important stuff, such as how to prevent your script from being used for spamming, data mining, fake emails and so forth. So try opening your eyes and taking some advice. When you have an administrator telling you to just shut up and take some advice, that's a slight hint that you should. These people are more knowledgeable, they know what they're talking about, unlike you

liam, I don't think you get it.  You take on a job w/out even knowing where to begin.  That spells disaster.  The prudent thing to do would be to turn the job down.  Instead, you are being greedy and saying yes you can, when you can't.  This not only reflects on you, but on web developers in general.  And then you turn around and get all pissy when people point that out.  What you are doing is not professional, and an ass thing to do, so don't expect to gain any respect or be helped by other people.  But kicking and screaming and crying foul when people don't tell you what you wanna hear just makes you look like an even bigger unprofessional ass.

If you don't like it, go find some other place.  Internets is that way ------------------------------->

so instead of telling people they shouldnt do something, why not reply with a response that might help them learn? I cant believe you both wasted your time posting such bull

Nothing is wrong with learning how to do it, but you shouldn't use other people's projects and budgets as a guinea pig.

Also, you actually acknowledged that it was amateurish in your original post:

Sorry if this seems real amateur its just a whole new thing for me, thanks

In the same sense that a brick layer wouldn't touch the electrics / plumbing in a house ordinarily (with some exceptions), e-marketing and web development are also two related trades but generally performed by two different people/groups (with some exceptions). They both require a great deal of knowledge and experience to get right.

So as pointed out, using their project which they've probably invested a lot of time and money into, it's unprofessional to say you can do this for them and expect to pick it up over night.

After all the feedback I now see I've been very naíve, I suppose I was being greedy I just always want to know how to do everything myself which isnt the right thing to do! Hope I havent offended anybody! Thanks for putting me straight ;)

no worries. man..just that, in the business world, there's already more than enough non-tech people who assume a tech person can do everything under the sun, that everything is the same thing, etc...so there will be plenty of times where you don't really have a choice, so don't add fuel to the fire man, lol. :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.