WHICH?

bcoffin

Hi All,

I'm a self-taught PHP coder.

I never really saw the purpose of a framework since writing OO PHP makes sense without one.

Can somebody please provide the simplest argument in support of frameworks as well as which individual framework they believe has the highest potential for longevity and popularity?

Thanks

That's like saying "no sense learning HTML if you have dreamweaver"..

Not sure i can get behind that argument, Mchl.

I'm not saying i'm disputing it, but please provide a bit more compelling and supported response if you're going to register an opinion.

I didn't say you don't need to know/learn PHP if you use a framework. It's quite to contrary. And you're comparing two different things actually.

Let me give you an example of what I do everyday. I use ExtJS which is basically a JavaScript framework for creating web GUIs. Why should I struggle each time I want to create a combobox, copy and paste same code to implement Ajax loading, deal with positioning on page etc... when I can simply type new Ext.form.comboBox({/*a few config options here*/}) ? I would waste my time on menial tasks instead of being productive.

Same goes for PHP frameworks. Someone has build tools to do common tasks, so that you can focus on developing functionality of your application.

I am still trying to wrap my head around Zend Framework ;)

As for the ExtJS, yes it saves a lot of time and is really powerful. It  has some disadvantages though: the script is quite large so it impacts loading times and the licensing model is a bit confusing.

• 2 weeks later...

Frameworks have their purpose, but personally I don't like them so much. They include a lot of stuff that you'll never use, and I don't like how you need to use a framework for at least a few months to actually be proficient in it. I've tried several frameworks, but I like using and developing my own minimalistic framework. You might argue that I'm reinventing the wheel, but I highly prefer spending the small amount of time reinventing to my specifications and understanding all the ins and outs of it instantaneously rather than having to study something unfamiliar for months. With frameworks you'll always have complaints, which is really why I decided to create my own.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.