Browsers or Tabs?

PugJr

Browsers or Tab  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Browsers or Tab

• New Window
    • New Tab

when browsers first started doing the whole tab thing, it took me a while to get into it.  I continued to open a new window for a while.  I can't really remember why I had misgivings about it, really... there's really no downside to tabs vs. multiple browser instances open, but on the other hand, having multiple browser instances open takes up more memory, and more taskbar real-estate.  Eventually I gave it a serious try and it took some getting used to, but it grew on me, and now I'll never go back if I can help it. 

CV, biggest problem for me is I always have two browsers up, IE and FF (No browser war on this topic.  :D), so I have FF with 3 tabs and I'm currently viewing my IE browser with 3 or so tabs as well. So I click through all the IE tabs then thinking "Where the hell is that page that I just had open 30 seconds ago?". Then I realize FF is hiding it behind its own tabs.

Tabs all the way.

CV, biggest problem for me is I always have two browsers up, IE and FF (No browser war on this topic.  :D), so I have FF with 3 tabs and I'm currently viewing my IE browser with 3 or so tabs as well. So I click through all the IE tabs then thinking "Where the hell is that page that I just had open 30 seconds ago?". Then I realize FF is hiding it behind its own tabs.

Why don't you just use 1 browser? If the answer to that is for testing purposes, just use the other browser for testing purposes only..?

If lets say you want to go to two different websites at the same time. Would you open an additional tab or an extra browser? So running 2 browsers or 1 browser with 2 tabs?

I never really got much into tabs so I've stuck with multi-browsers. :shrug:

Can you tell me the benefit of using multiple browsers (besides having their own processes and the fact that you're just used to it)?

If lets say you want to go to two different websites at the same time. Would you open an additional tab or an extra browser? So running 2 browsers or 1 browser with 2 tabs?

Can you tell me the benefit of using multiple browsers (besides having their own processes and the fact that you're just used to it)?

Or just use the best web browser, whos tabs are separated into their own processes.

Or just use the best web browser, whos tabs are separated into their own processes.

If Chrome was stable for linux I would certainly use it.  That reminds me, I haven't updated it in a while.

Have you tried out Chrome 4? syncing bookmarks = very nice.

doesn't have an ftp client yet tho, nor firebug, so I stick with FF for web development

Multiple browsers for different things. I don't know how to disable flash in IE, but I do in FF. Certain internet-computer games have laggy banners which makes my computer crash from lag.

Also some websites I have multiple cookies and unless I make a program or something, I'm better off using 2 browsers.

FF is used as a "Safe" browser while IE is used as a "Credential" browser so to speak. FF has JS, flash, etc. etc. etc. disabled while IE has everything enabled so anything thats perfectly safe that requires all of it, I use IE and unfortunately lots of sites use JS/Flash which forces me to do so.

FF is the main browser I use.  It is a good browser, with a lot of very nice plug-ins that make my job a lot easier.  I rarely use IE except for testing cross browser compatibility, and the web developer tool in IE was a huge blessing.  Now if only MS made their compatibility mode do IE6 also (or conversely, take a more active role in enforcing upgrades...), I'd be a happy camper.  Since a lot of my job involves having to constantly delete cookies and stuff for QA purposes, I generally use chrome to keep windows open to things I'm logged into so I don't have to keep logging into shit.  Off the clock though, I mostly use FF.   

I generally have about three or four instances of FireFox open, each with 4 - 8 tabs. Mainly for splitting up my browsing into relevant groups, for example, keeping everything related to a single project in it's own instance:

Instance 1

• Trac
  • Project 1: Public facing
  • Project 1: Admin facing
  • PHP Manual
  • RegEx Reference
  • Google

Instance 2

• Trac
  • Project 2: Public facing
  • Project 2: Admin facing
  • jQuery Manual
  • MySQL Manual
  • Some resource as a result of researching

The above two would generally be sitting on my left hand monitor (of 3) and the instance below on the right hand monitor, with my IDE in the middle.

Instance 3

• phpMyAdmin

Then I have another instance sitting somewhere on another workspace...

Instance 4

• PHPFreaks
  • Ubuntu Forums
  • eBay
  • Google
  • Other random sites I shouldn't be reading when I should be working

3 monitors, and 3 workspaces FTW. I've always got 9 "screens" of stuff open, and I still find myself minimizing crap...

Tab

Hrmmm, things do not always open in a new tab for me if I do not either right click and hit open in new tab or click with the scroll wheel.

The "Tabs" Tab FTW

Of course a lot of that depends on how the developer set up the links too.  Most sites don't have all their links set to _blank but instead are set to _self.  Where I pulled these statistics?  I have no clue..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tab

Hrmmm, things do not always open in a new tab for me if I do not either right click and hit open in new tab or click with the scroll wheel.

The "Tabs" Tab FTW

Of course a lot of that depends on how the developer set up the links too.  Most sites don't have all their links set to _blank but instead are set to _self.  Where I pulled these statistics?  I have no clue..

But now you're assuming that I use Firefox ;p.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.