Image Upload Problem

slipperyfish

Well, im using this inconjunction with an AJAX script. Im passing the file location in the url, for example:

[CODE]
fileupload.php?loc=C:\files\file.txt
[/CODE]

Then letting this script take over, except it won't work?

[CODE]
<?php

if (isset($_GET['loc'])) {
$thetransfer = copy($_FILES[$_GET['loc']]['tmp_name'], 'uploads/'.$_FILES[$_GET['loc']]['name']);

If (!$thetransfer) {
echo 'Upload Failed!';
} else {
echo "File uploaded!";
}
}

?>
[/CODE]

Does anybody know why??

-Thanks

YOu have to actually upload the file using a form with the proper enctype.  This is not easily done via AJAX...the only method I know of uses an iframe.  AJAX is javascript, which means that it is sandboxed and can not access the file system, so AJAX can not directly upload a file.

I use move_uploaded_file() when I ever try to upload something to one of my webservers.

so
[code]
<?php
$filelocation = $_GET['loc'];
$newName = "MyNewFile";

if(move_uploaded_file($_FILES['file']['tmp_name'], 'uploads/{$_FILES[$filelocation][$newname]'}) {
  // File moved
} else {
  // Error with moving file
}
?>
[/code]

Check to make sure your fileupload.php script also has the permission to execute and write to the directory you want to move the temp file into :)

$_FILE[] is from a submitted form that had a file linked to it from a users machine. 

i downloaded the script at that link you sent me, but im getting errors when i try to run it:

[QUOTE]
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in e:\domains\s\store02.newbiestyle.co.uk\user\htdocs\ajax-example3\dl\AjaxFileUploader.inc.php on line 16

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: ajaxfileuploader in e:\domains\s\store02.newbiestyle.co.uk\user\htdocs\ajax-example3\dl\index.php on line 15
[/QUOTE]

--------------------------------

is there actually a way of uploading/transferring/copying a file without using the $_FILES[] array?

-Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.