IE7 vs. Firefox 2 (and all others)

johnnyk

As long as Microsoft bundle IE with Windows, it will never be a thing of the past I don't think. I wouldn't be as bothered if it was as standards complient as the Mozilla browsers, I'm fed up with designing for FireFox and then spending hours tweaking it so that it works in IE too...

Last year I moved every computer in the school to firefox. I then deleted every short cut and everything to Internet Explorer, until you could only find it by running a search.  I have recently suggested the same thing at my college and all new computers, and the ones we repair, will come standard install FireFox. 

Schools (and other places too) could actually save a lot of money by using open-source systems, not having to buy a lot of Windows and Office licenses.

Edit: I know it's not exactly related to this topic, but I was more thinking about the "using alternatives to the "defaults""-thing.

How's IE7? I heard it's pretty good but I'm actually hoping it's terrible. It's gonna be at least a couple years before a majority of people are using it, so developers will still have to deal with IE6 for a while. If IE7 is bad, there will probably be more talk about Firefox.

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=105014.msg419971#msg419971 date=1156250111]
Last year I moved every computer in the school to firefox. I then deleted every short cut and everything to Internet Explorer, until you could only find it by running a search.  I have recently suggested the same thing at my college and all new computers, and the ones we repair, will come standard install FireFox. 
[/quote]
Ya know... I'm sure it'd be nice to have everyone NOT using IE, but you really can't force people like that.  I've tried to get my wife to use Opera or FF, but she's too used to IE and doesn't WANT to switch.  I've used IE7 and I'm hoping she'll see it as the big POS I saw it as and finally be pushed into switching, but I won't hold my breath.

In short, some people resist change and forcing them is only going to bring on problems.

The entire school kinda liked FF. The tabbed browsing thing was a huge hit,and so was the popup blocker.  I hear wind that in Vista, IE will come pre-installed, but it won't be part of the system. You will be able to remove it! YAY!  If memory serves, couldn't you remove IE in older systems too? Or am I just dreaming of what life could have been like without IE?

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=105014.msg419426#msg419426 date=1156168183]
I've heard people who think that Internet Explorer is the internet, so I don't think that IE will be a thing in the past for the next many years.
[/quote]

Personally I hate this. People who think the 'Internet' is IE or even the web itself.

Who here has used or still uses things like Gopher? IRC? Archie? Usenet etc?  I miss the days of the net where you had to know how to use a computer to do anything with it. 

Huh??

As for IE, it will always be around.  Since Windows is still one of the most used OS in the world, IE will always be around.  Now if MS were to play nice and follow the W3 consortium, maybe it could be more fun to design for ;)

ober as of SP2 in XP you can remove the IE install. 

I too hate having to code all my sites in FF and then seem the broken in IE because IE doesnt follow the rest of the pack. Though IE7 has been a little bit better, but you shouldn't rely on coding your site in a Beta of an application ;)

So I still have IE6 on my machine.  Also have Swift (like Safari), Firefox, Opera, I use my linux machine to look at Konquerer, and occationally I still use Linx :)

And why do people still use Frontpage for doing websites!!!! 

*whew* ok I am done :)

[quote author=SharkBait link=topic=105014.msg420714#msg420714 date=1156344881]
Who here has used or still uses things like Gopher? IRC? Archie? Usenet etc?  I miss the days of the net where you had to know how to use a computer to do anything with it.[/quote]
I still use IRC and Usenet on a regular basis...

[quote author=ober link=topic=105014.msg420664#msg420664 date=1156342035]
You cannot remove IE from the system pre-Vista.  It is an integral part of the OS.  As far as Vista, I haven't heard that, but I'd be surprised if it's true.
[/quote]

I've read that too. It's also gonna run with lower privileges than the user.

• 2 weeks later...
thats one way to do it, develop all the web sites and applications to be browser standards compliant and forget to do all the ie hacks, a bit radical and it will turn people off your sites as the thought of having to actually do something on the computer, thats not just turning it on and off and clicking a few icons,  like install firefox, is as frightening as first driving a car. A pop up on the index page to say "this site is world wide browser standards compliant - it may not work in Internet Explorer due to lack of standards interest on the part of Microsoft" could be fun...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.