CSS support for IE6 ? Why bother anymore ?

alpine

I am currently building a web service (automotive data storage), open for anyone that wants to use it.

I am working with CSS layout, and i dont bother adapting it to IE6 simply because i think its time to move on plus the fact that my CSS knowledge is intermediate - so all this hacks seems hopeless.

It ain't critical to support IE6 in this particular web site, if you dont want to use a modern browser then don't use my web site service - so to speak ::)

What are the general oppinion on ditching IE6 support ?

What are the general oppinion on ditching IE6 support

Bad, looking through access logs on our servers shows IE6 is still a popular browser.

if you dont want to use a modern browser then don't use my web site service

It seems that you do not want to take the time to make it work on all browsers thus you are alienating potential customers.

It seems that you do not want to take the time to make it work on all browsers thus you are alienating potential customers.

Should i bother on a non profit service ? I've decided not to in this case. If i was to make money on it i would perhaps have to think twice - i agree.

If more web developers ditched support for IE6 it would modernise the browsers faster, without doubt. Problem is that as long as the IE6 users have full functionality they see no reason for upgrading to a newer IE or changing to another browser.

I still make sure it works in FF, IE7+ and Opera.

already have that one, and have always used it - until now. :P

Why should i use many (many! for me anyhow) hours working with css hacks for IE6 - and for nothing... i mean, its time to ditch IE6 imo. A proper message for IE6 users will do this time ;)

When looking on the stats for another website i have, its the minority still running IE6 while most are on IE7, FF or Opera -and IE8 striking by.

I wonder for how much longer horrible hacks for IE6 will continue....

Anyhow - this post was just to get some more oppinions on this, so hit me!

We can't say if it's worth dropping IE6 support or not. It depends on three factors:

1) Whether the client wants you to support IE6

2) Whether your users are using IE6

3) Whether you care about the users who are using IE6

The answers to those questions are different for every person and even every site. You will have to figure them out.

But as to why some people AREN'T dropping support, here is an article on the matter:

http://blog.digg.com/?p=878

I personally support IE6 for all the sites I build at work and as a freelancer, but don't support it in my own personal sites.

But the thing is, once you learn a few techniques on how to deal with IE6, you rarely have to add hacks/conditional comments for it. I find that for most sites without an overly complicated layout, I can put together CSS that doesn't require IE6 only CSS - I just have to change my CSS a little bit - giving floated elements a display of inline for example.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.