Checkbox echo issue

genista

Hi,

I have checkboxes which I need a user to be able to update, the issue is that when you load the page the checkboxes are not echoing the results from the database. I have the following code which is the html:

[code=php:0]
<p>Beautician:</td><td><input type="checkbox" name="beautician" value="<?php if($test1 == "on"){echo" CHECKED";}?>
</p>
[/code]

The value that checks for 'on' is actually in the page that receives the result from the above code:

if (isset($_POST['test1']) == "on")
    $test1 = "true";  //  I don't know what $test1 is supposed to be, change as needed.
  else
    $test1= "null";
[/code]

So the question is how can I echo these results?

Thanks,

G

For a start there's no closing tag on the <Input> tag...

Try this:

[code]<p>Beautician:</td><td><input type="checkbox" name="beautician" value="<?php if($test1 == "on"){echo" CHECKED";}?>">
</p>[/code]

Also although you've only posted a snippet of your code here, it looks as though your HTML tags are nested incorrectly.  The first tag in a paragraph tag should not be a closing table tag as in your example "<p></td>".

Maybe try this:

[code]<p>
  Beautician:
  <td>
    <input type="checkbox" name="beautician" value="<?php if($test1 == "on"){echo" CHECKED";}?>">
  </td>
</p>[/code]

Regards
Rich

Thanks, yes I have only posted a snippet of the html. I have edited it though with your suggestion, but still nothing. Should I move:

$test1 = "true";  //  I don't know what $test1 is supposed to be, change as needed.
  else
    $test1= "null";
[/code]

from the results page to the page that contains the html? But then when you submit the page it runs the above routine anyway, oh I am confused now..

[quote author=ToonMariner link=topic=105042.msg419336#msg419336 date=1156157482]
swap echo " CHECKED" for echo " checked=\"checked\"";
[/quote]

I can see what genista's done here.  HTML will allow an input type of 'checkbox' to be checked with just CHECKED in the tag, it doesn't require a descriptor of checked="checked" but it certainly would help here.

Rich

Ok I have done that but still nothing, here are the two pages:

updatedetails.php
$id = $_SESSION['username'];
$query = "select * from suppliers where username='$id'";

//now we pass the query to the database
$result=mysql_query($query, $link) or die("MySQL query $query failed.  Error if any: ".mysql_error());

//get the first (and only) row from the result
    $row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC);

$username=$row['username'];
    $password=$row['password'];
    $first_name=$row['first_name'];
$test1=$row['test1'];

html part:
<p>test1:</td><td><input type="checkbox" name="test1" value="<?php if($test1 == "on"){" checked=\"checked\"";}?>
[/code]

Then we have the results page:

$first_name=$_POST['first_name'];
$last_name=$_POST['last_name'];
    $test1 = "true"; 
else
    $test1 = "null";

$query = "UPDATE suppliers SET first_name='$first_name', etc etc.

[/code]

Hugs and kisses to all of you if you can help with this!

Ok so the php code looks like so:

<p>test1:</td><td><input type="checkbox" name="test1" value="<?php if($test1 == "on"){"checked=\"checked\"";}?>/>
</p>
[/code]

and this is what we get from the html source:

<p>test1:</td><td><input type="checkbox" name="test1" value="/>
</p>
[/code]

Doesn't say 'checked' thats for sure...

didn't see it before....

value is an attribute that is not going to chnage so each check box should have a value set. What you want is.....

<input type="checkbox" name="test1" value="1"<?php if($test1 == "on"){echo "checked="checked\"";}?> />

<input type="checkbox" name="test2" value="2"<?php if($test2 == "on"){echo " checked=\"checked\"";}?> />

I can't understand why you're even using 'on'.  You're converting it for insert into the database anyway, so you may as well just use '[color=red]true[/color]' as the value

You'd be better off with this surely:

[code][code=php:0]
<input type="checkbox" name="test1" value="true" <?php if($test1 == "true"){echo "checked=\"checked\"";}?> />
[/code][/code]

And then change your code on the results page to:

[code]
$first_name=$_POST['first_name'];
$last_name=$_POST['last_name'];

if (isset($_POST['test1']) != "true"){
    $test1 = "null";
}
[/code]

Regards
Rich

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.