Can PHP be viewed if DOS is my OS?

ark014

Is it possible to create php programs and view them if my operating system is DOS, not unix?

Whether I create a DocumentRoot of C:\public_html, or C:/public_html, in my httpd.conf file, the result is:

When go to my "localhost" page, I see:

Index of /

simple.php

simple2.php

but when I try to click either of the above links they fail.

Is there a way around this? I believe it occurs since DOS uses "\" as its seperator, not "/" as in UNIX. I am using the latest versions of the Apache server and of PHP.

Thank You,

Robert Kruck

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apache will not run on DOS, what OS are you really talking about?

Don't be so silly! There's a bin version of Apache to run under DOS. Been there, done it, didn't like it, etc etc ....  ::)

Win32 is DOS in a shell.

Get it here ..... http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/README.html

................ and he calls himself a PHP Freak !?!

Apache will not run on DOS, what OS are you really talking about?

Don't be so silly! There's a bin version of Apache to run under DOS. Been there, done it, didn't like it, etc etc ....  ::)

Get it here ..... http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/README.html

................ and he calls himself a PHP Freak !?!

there is nothing on that page about running Apache on DOS. best I could find was NT.

do your homework. Windows is dos is windows. Windows is the shell for DOS. Windows is what made DOS so darned popular. Without windows, DOS would probably died the death same as DrDOS and all the others.

Now we're talking history, facts!

Run the windows terminal and you'll need to know your DOS commands. Windows is nothing without DOS.

What are you talking about? Apache can run on DOS, maybe not without bugs but that was never the question I assume. He said VIEW PHP, if he somehow installed a proper legacy/modded distribution to run on dos I assume he would not have the problem viewing it in the first place.

PHP files should parse just as 'html' files, there's nothing the browser has to parse except the text it is transmitted.

@Chauffeur. Windows was a shell for DOS once, DOS is obsolete.  Know your own facts.

What are you talking about? Apache can run on DOS, maybe not without bugs but that was never the question I assume.

The point I was trying to get at is that I doubt the OP is actually running DOS and that he should tell us what OS he actually is running.

What are you talking about? Apache can run on DOS, maybe not without bugs but that was never the question I assume.

The point I was trying to get at is that I doubt the OP is actually running DOS and that he should tell us what OS he actually is running.

"Is it possible to create php programs and view them if my operating system is DOS, not unix?"

Create, Possibly. But view, he never said he needed apache, He could be running it off another server and just viewing it with DOS, there were virtual drives/server paths back then.

he never said he needed apache,

I am using the latest versions of the Apache server and of PHP.

DOS file names are 8.3, so neither httpd.conf nor C:\public_html are valid DOS names, which is just another clue he is not using DOS

go to your command prompt in any windows version.

type dir and press enter

DOS!

Go to your c:/

list all the files in windows/system32

DOS!

You young pups know everything but in reality, you don't know a lot!

Oh, by the way. I'm doing all this in XP.

If you want PHP to run in dos, do it under apache for windows (DOS)!

go to your command prompt in any windows version.

type dir and press enter

DOS!

Go to your c:/

list all the files in windows/system32

DOS!

I'm a Linux user.

You young pups know everything but in reality, you don't know a lot!

Young pups? Grow up.

It hasn't been dos since win98, it is now simply a dos like shell.

go find a widows computer. try what I suggested above. You'll find all the old DOS files in system32

Windows won't exist without DOS. Ask MicroSoft!

I too prefer Linux. Far better system but if you believe everything Gates tells us, you'll be hacked, virused and off line each time you log on. Windows is rubbish but why? It all comes down to the incompatabilities of the shell running in DOS! So they modify DOS and the shell to find something else goes haywire.

Go on! I dare you! Go find a win system and check out windows/system32.

IT IS DOS!

go find a widows computer. try what I suggested above. You'll find all the old DOS files in system32

Windows won't exist without DOS. Ask MicroSoft!

I too prefer Linux. Far better system but if you believe everything Gates tells us, you'll be hacked, virused and off line each time you log on. Windows is rubbish but why? It all comes down to the incompatabilities of the shell running in DOS! So they modify DOS and the shell to find something else goes haywire.

Go on! I dare you! Go find a win system and check out windows/system32.

IT IS DOS!

I found .htaccess and vedit.bin on my system. Therefor, contrary to what the title of the operating system is, I believe it is Linux.. wait.. Linux IS unix. It's unix.

Perhaps you should read why they're there...

To have the ability to create a DOS formatted 3,5" boot disk.

They're not part of Windows OS.

Go to task manager, open process list, show processes of all users. Do you see COMMAND.COM running?

Thorpe. Think of it this way. When you were being born, I was entering my first classes in computer science. You may be a fine programmer but knowing what to do in PHP won't make you a Dr. in computer science and won't give you all the background into the evolution of computers since thier outset.

I don't scoff at you or your abilities but in this case, do a little research. Check out what I've said and let the evidence speak for itself.

I too am not a Dr. in this game. My brother is. I too wouldn't have believed it but the proof is in system32.

Like you said, "'nough said!"

Thorpe. Think of it this way. When you were being born, I was entering my first classes in computer science. You may be a fine programmer but knowing what to do in PHP won't make you a Dr. in computer science and won't give you all the background into the evolution of computers since thier outset.

I don't scoff at you or your abilities but in this case, do a little research. Check out what I've said and let the evidence speak for itself.

I too am not a Dr. in this game. My brother is. I too wouldn't have believed it but the proof is in system32.

Read what above person said, And maybe that's a clue. If a PS2 compact disk is in an XBOX, does that make it a PS2?

Are you kidding me?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.