Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

try xcopy

try mem

try move

try format

try any dos command

:o

I'll wonder if this will prove to be the most visited thread in the history of the site.

No kidding, they work. Why? Because there built into the command shell. Your sir are an ignorant man.

It's funny. CD, dir and copy work in Unix as well. Does that mean Unix is based on DOS? I didn't know Bill Gates was nice enough to help program Unix.

NOPE! DOS is a new format of UNIX,    ........ FOOL!

I declare you are a 14 yearold, or have lost. Or both.

I don't scoff at you or your abilities but in this case, do a little research.

Yeah, how about you do that? Sounds like an excellent idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Microsoft_Windows#Desktop.2FServer

Starting from Windows XP, Microsoft made all their server/desktop operating systems using the NT kernel.

MS-DOS had eight major versions released before Microsoft stopped development in 2000.

Some users switching from Windows 9x to XP disliked its lack of DOS support. Although XP comes with the ability to run DOS programs in a virtual DOS machine' date=' it still has trouble running many old DOS programs. This is largely because it is a Windows NT system and does not use DOS as a base OS, and that the Windows NT architecture is different from Windows 9x.[/quote']

Frow where does the NT come? Where did Gates begin? What language did Gates study and drop from?

Do your own research.

Even NT comes from its humble beginnings in DOS.

check out system32

remove the files and see if windows continues or crashes to the usual halt!

Dude, you don't know what you're talking about.

1) If current versions of Windows are DOS, why do they need emulators and virtual machines to run DOS programs?

2) Considering that DOS doesn't support 64-bit, how come I have a copy of Windows 7 64-bit installed on my computer if it's running DOS (XP and Vista had 64-bit versions as well)?

The true 32-bit versions of Windows' date=' from Windows NT, are not based on DOS but provide a command-line interface similar to MS-DOS's character-mode interface known as the console.[/quote']

check out system32

I've attached the directory listing of my system32 folder (output of ls -lh /media/windows/Windows/System32). Now tell me where my DOS files are.

[attachment deleted by admin]

go ask microsoft.

windows wouldn't be without dos. Maybe they don't 'develope' it any more because it does everything they need from it. Maybe they'll take up the developement again at a later date. Do you believe them?

If you do, then you believe that windows XP was and still is the best way to access the web and to do all the things you do on a daily basis with total security in mind. But hey, they said that about Vista and again about 7.

They also said that the new windows virus scanner is the first ever in their systems. Check out DOS 6.11

Sounds to me like you all believe Gates' lies.

Too bad you haven't the years behind you to see what's really happening. But then, the blind lead the blind.

Go into an XP machine. Delete all the DOS files you can find, if you can! Try rebooting the machine.

YOU CAN'T!

go ask microsoft.

windows wouldn't be without dos. Maybe they don't 'develope' it any more because it does everything they need from it. Maybe they'll take up the developement again at a later date. Do you believe them?

If you do, then you believe that windows XP was and still is the best way to access the web and to do all the things you do on a daily basis with total security in mind. But hey, they said that about Vista and again about 7.

They also said that the new windows virus scanner is the first ever in their systems. Check out DOS 6.11

Sounds to me like you all believe Gates' lies.

Too bad you haven't the years behind you to see what's really happening. But then, the blind lead the blind.

Go into an XP machine. Delete all the DOS files you can find, if you can! Try rebooting the machine.

YOU CAN'T!

This guy is talking absolute tripe! Windows does not run on DOS, it has not done so for years! It has DOS emulation in the form of a command prompt (shell), the DOS apps are still there i.e copy, xcopy, fdisk. When you boot win 2k, xp, vista etc do you see any DOS screens? NO.

@chauffeur, just because they have the same name doesn't make them DOS files!!

they are the same for reverse compatibility, of course using the Windows Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) subsystem looks like DOS that won't allow all DOS interrupts to function (ie INT 13)

And while its true that XP contains a copy of the core from MS-DOS 8 files, it is ONLY accessible by formatting a floppy as an "MS-DOS startup disk". These core files are a stripped down bootstrap only, and once booted your in a 16bit boot System.

The true 32-bit versions of Windows, from Windows NT, are not based on DOS but provide a command-line interface similar to MS-DOS's character-mode interface known as the console. This is provided by a native executable, cmd.exe. Many Windows console applications are incorrectly referred to as DOS applications. However, in reality they are Windows applications, using Windows system calls, using the text console for input and output rather than a graphical interface.

By the way "wrong DOS" doesn't mean what you think it means.. technically all Windows/Unix/Mac's run on a Disk Operating System, but that's. doesn't mean the OS is called DOS!

"Even NT comes from its humble beginnings in DOS."

No NT removed DOS hence NT (New Technology)

My command line looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

so it must be DOS -- seperator is "\" not "/".

Is there some hack that I can put into my httpd.conf so that php commands and *.php files can display normally in my browser? (I have Apache in my PC and it is working normally even though I have not installed UNIX).

My n00b PHP program "simple.hml" displays only its title in my browser, the php code embedded within is ignored by my browser:

<?php

echo "<P>Hello World! I'm using PHP!</P>\n";

?>

Any *.php program I try to navigate to from my "Index of " window does not display at all --

Index of /

* simple.html 

* simple.php

* simple2.php

-- clicking on simple2.php results in a "The webpage cannot be found" HTTP 400 message.

I suppose I should just try installing UNIX on my PC.

Selected contents of my httpd.conf file

DocumentRoot  "C:\public_html"

<Directory "C:\public_html">

AddHandler x-httpd-php .php

Action x-httpd-php "php/php-cgi.exe"

My command line looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

so it must be DOS -- seperator is "\" not "/".

No.. folders are separated depending on the OS

DOS & Windows uses \

Unix uses /

Mac uses ::

and in apache & php you can use / as well as \

ie

DocumentRoot  "C:/public_html"

<Directory "C:/public_html">

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.