I'm still here

KevinM1

To shamelessly copy Zane, and since other past and present badged members are creating threads, I figured I might as well update my introduction (originally found here: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,112560.msg458113.html#msg458113).  I don't want to be left out! :P

Most of what originally wrote still applies.  The job I mentioned back in 2006/2007 came and went.  It wasn't what it was cracked up to be, and I didn't really learn anything.  It was mismanaged to the ground by my boss/the owner.  Oh well.  I've had some freelance gigs come and go, but nothing substantial.  I live in a .NET part of the country, so I'm teaching myself the relevant languages.  Unfortunately, the recession hit somewhat hard here, and I face an uphill battle with employment anyway because of my disability (who's more likely to get hired: the guy who relies on other people for transportation, or the guy who can drop everything and work overtime if necessary?).  Still, I'm working at it.

My big .NET project, which I'm using for non-portfolio educational purposes only, is a game (surprise surprise).  It's been a PITA thus far - there have been a ton of little details that tripped me up - but rewarding at the same time.  I think I've learned more about programming in general in the last 8 months or so than I had in the last 8 years.

So, yeah, still plugging away, and procrastinating on having to touch my db again. ;)

Unfortunately, the recession hit somewhat hard here, and I face an uphill battle with employment anyway because of my disability (who's more likely to get hired: the guy who relies on other people for transportation, or the guy who can drop everything and work overtime if necessary?).  Still, I'm working at it.

Sounds pretty nasty. How are discrimination laws over in The States? Here in the UK, it seems things have swung the other way a little; it seems to be quite common now for job averts to promise to interview any and all people with a disability for fear of appearing discriminatory. Now, im not being funny, but would they really interview you if you applied to be a brain surgeon, just because you had a disability?

Unfortunately, the recession hit somewhat hard here, and I face an uphill battle with employment anyway because of my disability (who's more likely to get hired: the guy who relies on other people for transportation, or the guy who can drop everything and work overtime if necessary?).  Still, I'm working at it.

Sounds pretty nasty. How are discrimination laws over in The States? Here in the UK, it seems things have swung the other way a little; it seems to be quite common now for job averts to promise to interview any and all people with a disability for fear of appearing discriminatory. Now, im not being funny, but would they really interview you if you applied to be a brain surgeon, just because you had a disability?

Well, discrimination can be hard to nail down when someone is in the kind of situation I'm in.  It's often hard to determine if you're turned down merely because they don't want to 'deal' with someone in a wheelchair, or if the extra baggage my life requires to work (aides and their (lack of) flexibility, transportation needs, etc) makes it difficult to impossible to handle some of the job requirements (overtime, going elsewhere to meet with clients, etc).  Add to it our current unemployment rate (10% and climbing) and I need to make myself the most attractive potential employee possible, not only to beat out the others looking for a job, but to overcome whatever hesitation an employer may have in hiring someone in a wheelchair.

And, I mean, no one would consider me for something like a surgeon, or a warehouse worker stocking shelves or anything like that.  Those kind of jobs are obviously impossible for me to do.  But a lot of employers don't think about things like, hey, I'm screwed if my aide is sick and can't drive me into work.  And, how would food prep work for me for lunch?  Would my aide be allowed to come in and help me?  What about a phone?  I can't lift a receiver to my ear, nor can I tap a headset's 'talk' button.  Would a speaker phone be too distracting?  Would working from home be a viable option?

Now, I'm not saying that these kind of logistical problems can't be worked out.  If I thought that, I wouldn't even be trying to increase my knowledge and add to my skill.  What I am saying is that I need to make myself so attractive to an employer that dealing with those issues is a small price to pay for the overall value I bring to the table.  I'm not there yet, especially when it comes to .NET, but I'm getting closer.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.