AAAARRRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moron

I'm as sick of posting this as you folks are of reading it. Trust me on this! But will someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me what is happening here??????? A week of my life on this is ENOUGH!!!!!!

My code:

[quote]
while ($RESULT = mssql_fetch_assoc($RESULTDS))   {

$lastjuly = strtotime("July 1 $last");
$todaysdate = date(Ymd);
$todaystring = strtotime($todaysdate);
[b]$recdate = "$RESULT[Lmo]$RESULT[Lda]$RESULT[LYR]";[/b]
[b]$recdatestring = strtotime($recdate);[/b]

if ($recdatestring >= $lastjuly)  {

echo "<tr align=center>";
echo "<td>";

echo $RESULT['Lmo'];
echo "/";
echo $RESULT['Lda'];
echo "/";
echo $RESULT['LYR'];
echo "</td>";

echo "<td>";
echo $RESULT['Leave Code'];
echo "</td>";

echo "<td>";
$TotalGenHours = $TotalGenHours + $RESULT['Hours'];
echo $RESULT['Hours'];
echo "</td>";

echo "</tr>";
}
}[/quote]

Note the lines I put in bold. If I echo $recdate, it gives me 03282001 and pulls ZERO records.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Anybody?

[quote author=ToonMariner link=topic=105053.msg419399#msg419399 date=1156166278]
that line is saying recdate = monthdayyear as pulled from the database (so it will look like 082106 or similar).

If it is not working try.

$recdate = $RESULT[Lmo] . $RESULT[Lda] . $RESULT[LYR];
[/quote]

Thanks, but the formatting isn't the problem. The problem seems to be that it's seeing the date of a [b]specific[/b] record on March 28, 2001. Therefore, since that specific record is [b]not[/b] after July 1, 2006, then no records are pulled. What I'm trying to tell it (with GREAT DIFFICULTY) is....

Go through ALL the records. *IF* a record is *ON OR AFTER* July 1, 2006, then display it.

[quote author=thorpe link=topic=105053.msg419412#msg419412 date=1156167392]
As Ive said many times before you should be trying to do this in your query.
[/quote]

Here's the part I don't understand, though; The query is pulling exactly what I want it to pull, which is all records. In other words, I don't want to miss anything. I can make it pull by calendar year, as in all records for that employee number for a specific year and so on, but I want to pull records after July 1.

[quote author=ToonMariner link=topic=105053.msg419438#msg419438 date=1156168997]
the state that in the query under the where clause.

Which ever field holds the date use 'WHERE `date` > 'july 1st' (obviously change that so the formats match otherwise it'll fail)
[/quote]

But this isn't a one-time deal. July 1 is the start of our fiscal year. Therefore, I have to use variables that define the previous July 1. Is there a way to plug a variable into a query?

Some test code - and the results it produces showing that the strtotime argument you're using isn't working:

[code]$recdate = "03282001";
echo strtotime($recdate); // outputs -1
echo "<br>";

$recdate = "03-28-2001"; // test date
echo strtotime($recdate); // outputs 1285128000
echo "<br>";

$last = "2001";
$recdate = "07-01-". $last;
$lastjuly = strtotime($recdate);
echo $lastjuly; // outputs 1340424000[/code]

That should point the way to success ... which is to generate the record date from the database using:

[code]$recdate2 = $RESULT['Lmo']. "-". $RESULT['Lda']. "-". $RESULT['LYR']; // what is this record's date?[/code]

I do realise that you're working with a legacy database where the 'date' is stored in that funny manner, but (and I think I've said it before) fixing the database to use a single real date field would have avoided all the aggravation you're having trying to work around the fundamentally flawed date storage structure.  And I can't believe it woud take very long to fix the database - add new field named 'real_date', date format, then loop thru' your database generating dates in yyyy-mm-dd format by concatenating three field values and update each row with a real date.

Thanks a lot, Andy. Based on what you posted, I tried this:

$recdate2 = $RESULT['Lmo']. "-". $RESULT['Lda']. "-". $RESULT['LYR'];
$recdate2string = strtotime($recdate2);

if ($recdate2string >= $lastjuly)  {

...etc....

It still pulls all records going back to 2001.

I think you're right, though; I'm going to look at simply adding a consolidated date field in the database. I guess nobody considered this back in 2001.

[quote author=Moron link=topic=105053.msg419446#msg419446 date=1156170043]

It still pulls all records going back to 2001.[/quote]

I'd echo the value of $lastjuly in your code to make sure it really is the same as 07-01-2001 would be.

[quote author=AndyB link=topic=105053.msg419447#msg419447 date=1156170199]
[quote author=Moron link=topic=105053.msg419446#msg419446 date=1156170043]

It still pulls all records going back to 2001.[/quote]

I'd echo the value of $lastjuly in your code to make sure it really is the same as 07-01-2001 would be.
[/quote]

You were right, Andy. Adding this to the query in the WHERE statement did the trick:

[quote]and LH.[LYR] >= '$last'  and LH.[Lda] >= '01' and LH.[Lmo] >= '07' [/quote]

Thanks again!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.